Hatchright spray ????

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by Dany12, Jan 9, 2015.

1. Dany12

Dany12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2011
    Hungary
  2. DylansMom

DylansMom RIP 1969-2017

Jan 10, 2014
    PA
  3. Tony K T

Tony K T Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Sad thing is,there probably months behind in back orders.
    In N.H.,Tony

1 person likes this.
  4. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    [​IMG]

5. MinxFox

MinxFox Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Pensacola, FL
    Say what?? Maybe the "magic spray" is just water to help with the humidity lol. [​IMG]

6. Garden Peas

Garden Peas Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2014
    Here's something interesting... I was trying to search to see if I could figure out what was in this magic mist.

But I found something completely different. Apparently there IS a benefit to using an appropriate sanitizer on hatching eggs... who knew?

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/poulsci/tech_manuals/spray_sanitizing.html

But I don't think I need to buy magic mist on ebay... not when they don't even make a disclosure of what's in their potion.

I'll figure out a source for the actual good, effective stuff....

Edited to add, found an even better article:

http://anrcatalog.ucdavis.edu/pdf/8120.pdf

Last edited: Jan 9, 2015
  7. DylansMom

DylansMom RIP 1969-2017

Jan 10, 2014
    PA
    Now..... if it actually does what he claims and increases "Fertility" wouldn't it have to have something "unmentionable" in it? [​IMG]

8. Garden Peas

Sep 23, 2014
    I'm guessing that formulation costs extra. [​IMG]

But if what it really turns out to be is a hatching egg sanitizer... which is what his description does actually sound like as to how it works... then the eggs might seem as if more of them were fertile, because some of the early die off/failure to develop may well be due to the bacteria counts. It's an inexact use of language [​IMG]

Did you look at the bacteria counts in those papers? Those articles are from universities. The first one is from the extension service at North Carolina State University, the other one is from UC Davis.

The NCSU pub said that after 14 days of storage, hatching egg bacteria counts went from 154,000+ bacteria per egg to over 310,000 bacteria per egg. They documented that when eggs were properly sanitized as soon as possible after collection, the number of bacteria colonies went from 121,000+ per egg (on the control eggs), down to 331 colonies per egg. That reduction in bacteria apparently greatly reduces microbial infiltration of the egg.

I bet the bacteria are more of a problem in incubator eggs than in hen-hatched eggs, because the darned incubator creates a certain amount of condensation, which helps the bacteria penetrate the shell. Sweating is bad.

The UC Davis article has very clear, nicely written instructions and a variety of options.

Given that I had a several quitters last summer, and no eggs that made it to pipping, I'm thinking I will look into this further.

9. Trefoil

Trefoil Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2011
    If you try it, Please let us know what you conclude.

10. Garden Peas

Sep 23, 2014
    Still looking for (and into) sanitizer question.

Here's an interesting article which focuses more on the angle of bacteria which pose hazards to humans, such as salmonella. It sounds like hydrogen peroxide in an appropriate strength may work...

The most interesting thing to me was about the perpetuation of salmonella through eggs and hatching, based on exposure of the eggs to salmonella. It's not just a result of poultry feed... apparently the chicks can be hatched with salmonella and spread it to other chicks...

http://naldc.nal.usda.gov/download/33948/PDF

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by