hate my career any advice?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by animals1981, Nov 3, 2010.

1. animals1981

animals1981 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Toronto
    I just got out of a family business which had nothing to do with animals and havent really been doing much with my life recently was wondering do any of you know any business or careers involving animals that dont have anything to do with math or science?

those of you who are into some sort of animals business how did you get there?

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:My wife worked as a Pet Care Tech at a combo vet/kennel clinic. Her job was to walk the dogs, feed and water them, give them a bath and clean their rooms. It paid $10 an hour and she truly loved her job.

3. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Dog groomer..

4. Whispering Winds

Whispering Winds Chillin' With My Peeps

seriously, groomer. There is a "do it yourself" dog bathing cart like thing that might be something to look into. People LOVE it. You could be the nail trimmer, grand finale touch up artist and have sort of "off hours" so people who work odd hours can have a chance too!! Groomers do real well around here and we are very rural.

5. animals1981

Jul 19, 2008
    Toronto
    i was hoping for something more exotic? i am not much of a dog person of course i love them but i jsut dont have the click with them the wya i do with birds and cats

6. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:Something more exotic??
    How about bear wrestler? Cobra snake charmer? Lion/Tiger trainer? Elephant washer? You could always go live on Kodiak Island and play with the grizzely bears?? (some of those guys dont make it back though..but ehh..its exotic.....
    What about that killer whale that killed that trainer last year... I'm sure trainers arent lining up to work with him....I'm sure you could get a position there... [​IMG]

Just some ideas... [​IMG]

7. animals1981

Jul 19, 2008
    Toronto
    what about a pelican slash flamingo slahs peacock trainer? [​IMG]

8. welsummerchicks

welsummerchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    I don't know if you realize how unrealistic you're being.

Exotic, no math or science. Only involves birds and cats.

Well, there is no kind of work you can that doesn't involve math, and only involves birds and cats.

Most any work these days involves using a computer - in a pet shop or vet's office, to check the customer in and out, record what services and goods he's bought, set up when he should come back and send out mail, etc. You have to be able to look at the results the computer gives and know ball park, what the result should be, so you can check the results.

Working in a pet shop or as a vet tech, you have to know about fish, cats, birds, small animals, feeds, plus you have to be able to do math to do inventory, check sales receipts, cash out, etc.

If you were to work in a zoo, it would be exotic, and you'd be around birds and cats (some of them fairly large), but I think you'd be a glorified janitor. They don't let people handle exotic animals unless they have training, some sort of education. The schedule might not be that different from a family business - people work weekends and holidays at a zoo.

You'd also be expected to keep very detailed records about the animal's care and know when to notify the veterinarian. You're in the public eye a lot and expected to communicate well and be polite to the public. These are extremely valuable animals and you don't get jobs like that so easily.

The key to exotic jobs, doing what you want, is education, and mostly in math and science. You don't mention if you have any college training. If you don't you might want to get some.

That can be the trouble with a family business. Many people go into the family business right from high school, find out they don't like it, and come out without the education that makes them competitive in the job market.

There are two year programs at community colleges in animal science and agriculture that might help you get closer to doing what you want, but I don't think there is any job that is going to be perfectly fit to these expectations.

Animal science, even just the two year program, what you'd have to study to be allowed to work around animals, means SCIENCE. Biology, chemistry and math. Not four years of biology, no, probably two terms, and beginning chemistry. I was in the animal science program before vet school, so I speak from experience.

I don't know why you're so totally against learning science and math. They are the two keys to many good jobs. I didn't like math and science either, but to get what you want, you have to do some things you maybe don't like as much.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2010
  9. Chicky Tocks

Chicky Tocks [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2666.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Ru

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    Years ago I worked at PetsMart. Most stores have a dog grooming area, and PetsMart will train you to do this. They have a program that you progress through, and at the end of it, you get a certification.

ETA: Ok I see you don't want to do that. Maybe a vet tech at an exotic animal clinic?

Last edited: Nov 4, 2010
  10. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Well, how about dog grooming, or a doggie day care? If you love animals, that might be the ticket! No math involved there.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by