Hating this egg hunt - need advice please

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by DillardHome, Jan 12, 2010.

1. DillardHome

DillardHome Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2009
    Claxton, GA
    I thought I was being nice by letting my chickens free range during the day but now I'm not very happy. About 2 months ago I started letting the flock free range and they loved it. I was also happy because the girls would make a point to go into the coop to lay. The flock would be under the shed and I would see a hen run out from underneath, go into the coop sit awhile and then return to the flock, even if it was raining they would still make a run for the coop and lay an egg. WELL, now I am lucky to find an egg in the coop, I am finding them under the shed, in the horse's hay and even in my son's play jeep in the garage. And who knows where else they may be that I have not found. Today, I decided to not let them out and keep them in the coop. (I guess I feel like it's a punishment). I can't think of any situation that arose to change their habits, nothing out of the ordinary. Any ideas on how I can get them back to their original routine of laying in the coop?

2. muddypuddles

muddypuddles Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2009
    I think you have to close them in the coop for a few days until they get the idea of where to lay. It worked for mine. [​IMG]

3. SunnyDawn

SunnyDawn Sun Lovin' Lizard

Sep 12, 2009
    Nor Cal
    You're doing the right thing already. Leave them in the coop for a few days then let them out in late afternoon only. As soon as they go back to their bad habits shut them up again for a few days. Limiting free range time will help.

4. DillardHome

DillardHome Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2009
    Claxton, GA
    Thank you muddypuddles & Sunny Dawn. I will do that.
    I'm the Roost Ruler..[​IMG]

5. Daidohead

Daidohead Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2009
    Red Bluff, Ca
    My EE's did the same thing. I put them in the coop for a few days, and placed something in their chosen outdoor nesting spots, soccer ball, large rock, ect... When I finaly let them out of the coop one of my ladies ran over to the nest she had made in my neighbors yard, looked at the soccer ball sitting in it then ran back to the coop and laid her egg there. I have had no problems since.

6. cybercat

cybercat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2007
    Greeneville, Tn
    Yep, it happens just read my chickens blog. We have found nests all over. This winter is fixing alot ofthat for us with snow on the ground. Having an fake gg in the box full time helps. Ours started laying all over early though only a few were steady in box. Now they are much better but we still have one hold out laying in coop outside of nest box.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by