Havahart trap junk

Dustinnvnorth

In the Brooder
7 Years
Feb 9, 2012
Reno NV
Cought a coon the other day in an extra large trap 42x15x15. When i got up it was gone. Ripped the door off. Havahart said their traps are well built but nothing can contain a coon for more than a couple hours because they panic. They recommend checking the trap every couple hours. Really! Who gets up every two hours to check a trap? grrr

That is crazy! Do you happen to be a hunter? What I do to keep coons away from the coop is i comb through the woods at night with a flashlight and gun. You can spot their eyes in the dark its a dead give away. What did you plan on doing with the coon after you caught it?

we live in a neighborhood and the coons use the culverts as highways. not sure if they sleep down there during the day. cant shoot them the neighbors yard. they dont like that. i prefer to relocate the coons to the land fill.

Interesting. Would be curious to see what damage was done. Wonder if they haven't changed their specs. Our three (standard size) model 1079's, purchased between `97-`99, are still in good shape (bent bars from shots through heads - some corrosion). No ripped./bent doors.

You might look into a couple of Duke Dog-proof foot traps (make sure to anchor them securely with chain). They are a bit of a pain to set the trigger on, but coons go `no-where', fast...

Interesting. Would be curious to see what damage was done. Wonder if they haven't changed their specs. Our three (standard size) model 1079's, purchased between `97-`99, are still in good shape (bent bars from shots through heads - some corrosion). No ripped./bent doors.
You might look into a couple of Duke Dog-proof foot traps (make sure to anchor them securely with chain). They are a bit of a pain to set the trigger on, but coons go `no-where', fast...

Same here. Trapped about a dozen coons and not one has been able to "rip the door off".

Wonder if the OP got a Chinese clone instead of the real Havaheart?

Last edited:
Personally, I don't use live traps. For coon a Duke brand dog proof (aka a "DP") is an inexpensive and very effective trap. They are small, unobtrusive, and will ONLY catch coon, possum or skunk, any of which I'm happy to be rid of. A .17HMR completes the "relocation."

I would be interested in the dp trap. Where would I be able to purchase and would you explain what prevents a cat or dog from being trapped?

My dog got out of one of them traps as well as a bob cat, the rods that hold the door shut are made of aluminum and bend easily, i just changed the rods to stronger ones and now even my big ol dog can't get out

Back
Top Bottom