Havahart trap junk

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Dustinnvnorth, Dec 11, 2012.

1. Dustinnvnorth

Dustinnvnorth Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2012
    Reno NV
    Cought a coon the other day in an extra large trap 42x15x15. When i got up it was gone. Ripped the door off. Havahart said their traps are well built but nothing can contain a coon for more than a couple hours because they panic. They recommend checking the trap every couple hours. Really! Who gets up every two hours to check a trap? grrr

2. TheSpeckledRoo

TheSpeckledRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2012
    Michigan
    That is crazy! Do you happen to be a hunter? What I do to keep coons away from the coop is i comb through the woods at night with a flashlight and gun. You can spot their eyes in the dark its a dead give away. What did you plan on doing with the coon after you caught it?

3. Dustinnvnorth

Feb 9, 2012
    Reno NV
    we live in a neighborhood and the coons use the culverts as highways. not sure if they sleep down there during the day. cant shoot them the neighbors yard. they dont like that. i prefer to relocate the coons to the land fill.

4. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    Interesting. Would be curious to see what damage was done. Wonder if they haven't changed their specs. Our three (standard size) model 1079's, purchased between `97-`99, are still in good shape (bent bars from shots through heads - some corrosion). No ripped./bent doors.

You might look into a couple of Duke Dog-proof foot traps (make sure to anchor them securely with chain). They are a bit of a pain to set the trigger on, but coons go `no-where', fast...

5. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Quote: If it was gone when you got up, HOW do you know what it was?

6. Dustinnvnorth

Feb 9, 2012
    Reno NV
    i bolted one of the cuff trap inside the repaired havahart. a double trapped coon should not get away next time.

7. The Lazy L

The Lazy L Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2011

Same here. Trapped about a dozen coons and not one has been able to "rip the door off".

Wonder if the OP got a Chinese clone instead of the real Havaheart?

Last edited: Dec 12, 2012
  8. Greyfox Farm

Greyfox Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Personally, I don't use live traps. For coon a Duke brand dog proof (aka a "DP") is an inexpensive and very effective trap. They are small, unobtrusive, and will ONLY catch coon, possum or skunk, any of which I'm happy to be rid of. A .17HMR completes the "relocation."

9. nova022

nova022 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2012
    I would be interested in the dp trap. Where would I be able to purchase and would you explain what prevents a cat or dog from being trapped?

10. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    My dog got out of one of them traps as well as a bob cat, the rods that hold the door shut are made of aluminum and bend easily, i just changed the rods to stronger ones and now even my big ol dog can't get out

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by