Have 1 Rooster, Want 2 More.....

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by rapunzil, Jul 9, 2010.

1. rapunzil

rapunzil Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2009
    Kendall Park, NJ
    I have a mature Easter Egger rooster and an opportunity to get 2 young Salmon Faverolle and Mille bantam roosters.

The Easter Egger is 10 months old, mildly agressive with me. The new roosters are about 4 months and were raised in separate pens.

I have 20 mature hens, and 17 month-and-a-half old pullets in the flock.

Does anyone forsee this being a problem? How would be the best way to introduce the roosters to each other? I'd really rather not have to build separate pens.

2. cterbizan

cterbizan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2010
    Oklahoma
    As long as each rooster as at least 10 hens each they will be fine. I would recommend you introduce them at night while the others are sleeping and they should go to the roost or where they feel comfortable and they would all wake up and there maybe a little pecking but with the others being so young it should be fine.

3. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    plenty of space, eat the aggressive one.

4. MrChicken207

MrChicken207 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2010
    Caribou, Maine
    Do what cterbizan says. Introduce them at night. There will be less hassle that way. If they get into little scuffs, don't worry, they're just establishing the pecking order (literally), and they'll end up fine.

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    The EE has been in charge, and it's almost guaranteed that he will attack the other roosters regardless of when you introduce them. If they have enough room to escape him, things may work out. In a confined pen or coop, he may kill or seriously injure them. Monitor closely when introducing the new roosters. Introducing hens to an established flock may be complicated. Combining roosters is far more complicated.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by