Have 2 chickens with goopy eyes

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Thespartacus23, Oct 15, 2014.

1. Thespartacus23

Thespartacus23 New Egg

Oct 15, 2014
    Hello I have a flock of 26 chickens and i went out to check them last night when i got home from work and found that one of my chickens had a goopy eye. I have a 2nd smaller coop so i separated her and took a rag with warm saline and wiped the eye genitally and it looked alot better. This morning i checked her and its gunked shut and i found another chicken with the same thing in the main flock. I'm going to repeat the process but i noticed people talking about using neosporin. Any other recommendations? And is there and antibiotic that i could add to the water for the rest of the flock that will help prevent this from spreading? Thanks for reading!

2. spies04

spies04 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Minnesota
    Great question - I also have my rooster who I adore with the same issue. He eyes are goopy and actually look a bit swollen. I am hopeful someone can provide some helpful information.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. Sticky eye drainage can be a sign of mycoplasma (MG,) or coryza. Coryza has a very bad rotten odor, apparently. Either of those can also involve swollen eyes or faces. Terramycin ointment or Neosporin or similar are fine to use in the eyes twice a day. Tylan Soluble Powder or oxytetracycline powder can be used in the water if they are drinking well enough. If not Tylan 50 injectable can be used for shots or given separately by mouth to each sick chicken. Sulfadimethoxine or Sulmet can be used if you are treating coryza. I would not treat chickens without symptoms, but separate and treat only ones showing signs. It's always best to call your state department of agriculture to ask about getting one of your sick ones tested to make sure of what you are treating. The respiratory diseases are contagious, and make carriers of the whole flock, even after recovery. Here is a link to read about those and other diseases: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

4. spies04

May 28, 2011
    Minnesota
    Thank you so much!! This rooster has been the best one I have ever had and would hate for any issues to continue for him or others. Appreciate this great info![​IMG]

5. spies04

May 28, 2011
    Minnesota
    I just wanted to say thank you - the Neosporin worked like a charm and within two days, he was already showing relief. I would have never guessed to use that - Chester thanks you with the loudest crow [​IMG]!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by