Have 2 questions??

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by mullers3acers, Feb 9, 2009.

1. mullers3acers

mullers3acers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2007
    la porte, In
    Is it possible for chickens to wonder off more than a mile from where they being raised at? Why would people just drop animals off at a place not to worry what happens to them?

2. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    I have never heard of a chicken wandering that far, but I suppose it could happen. As for question #2.....because some people are stupid and some people are cruel. As long as there are people there will be abused/neglected/abandoned animals. [​IMG]

3. maplesky7

maplesky7 Flock Mistress

Jun 14, 2008
    N. IL.
    I saw a chicken in between 2 farms in a corn feild. I tried for weeks to get her...big fatty. But it was quite a big distance between each barn. She just got lost I figured. Started pecking and pecking and had her tail end up and her head down and lost site of home.

and to the second question....people do and they either figure they'll get picked up by someone else...or they genuinly just don't care.

good thing for the rest of us kind hearted rescuers.

my sister found a tiny tiny kitten hiding under her deck and there isn't anything for miles. someone HAD to have dropped her off.

good thing my sis is a cat person and lost her beloved cat months prior.

See...God makes good things happen.

me,
    g

4. mullers3acers

Oct 9, 2007
    la porte, In
    Our school bus driver called today to let us know that there were chickens on the road; looked like they were waiting for some one to pick them up.She called because she knows that we have chickens and other farm animals. She thought that maybe they were our chickens. But ours has been penned up for about 2 months due to the snow that weve had. The dh and I went to the house closest to the intersection and saw the chickens and they were in real good shape. But tonight the owner of the home where we saw them at said he has no animals but there is a farm a mile down the road. I just want to make sure these girls are taken care of.

5. maplesky7

maplesky7 Flock Mistress

Jun 14, 2008
    N. IL.
    So did you pick them up?

Drive em down to the farm and ask em if they are missing any chickens?

That fat hen I saw on the side of the road kept running into the corn feild and i could never get her. My little girls were excited. My then, 6 year old, asked what was I gonna do if i caught her?

I said, put her in her lap for her to hold on the ride home and then eat her eggs.

Made dd grin real big.

Just the thought of holding on to a big fat hen on the car ride home and adding a new friend. She was game.

me,
    g

6. mullers3acers

Oct 9, 2007
    la porte, In
    This happened before dark and I needed the owner of the property's permission to collect them first so first thing tomorrow morning I am going to see what happens.

7. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

There was a big fat barred rock hen running down the street not long ago and I could not catch her to save my life.

8. mullers3acers

Oct 9, 2007
    la porte, In
    I am a softy to animals that need a home. Please don't spread it around. But they are like us they need food,love, and attention!

9. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    All these chickens in the road, why dont they ever come by my house? Ill take free chickens any day. [​IMG]

10. mullers3acers

Oct 9, 2007
    la porte, In
    I plan to take them in just. Need to make sure they don't belong to any one else.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by