Have 20 Birds have have not laid in 3 months

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by pepino305, Oct 26, 2014.

1. pepino305

pepino305 New Egg

Nov 15, 2011
    Hello, I have 20 Birds, 15 older ones, I think 2 years old and 5 are 6 months old and not of them are laying. I have done everything I know and I cannot get them to lay.
    1. Changed out the nests
    2. Wormed them
    3. Increased feed
    4. Added Roosting space.
    5. giving the right kind of feed
    6. not molting

They are free range chickens and I know they are not laying in the field. They don't appear to be stressed. The older chickens were given to me, when a predator took me out. The fact that the new chickens are laying by now is puzzling. PLEASE HELP!!!

Last edited: Oct 26, 2014
  2. Toddrick

Toddrick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2014
    Indiana
    Three months is a long time! What is going on? Depending on the breed, I don't think six months is that long to wait for a pullet to lay based on what I've read, but the hens...weird. It would surely help to state the breed of the hens too though.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2014
  3. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    [​IMG]

What breeds?

How sure are you about that two year old business?

A 6 month old may not lay now until January. Some older hens may never again lay enough eggs to make a good omelet.

14 hours of un-interrupted light will make any hen who is able to lay, lay on schedule.

4. LanceTN

LanceTN Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2014
    What breed are the older birds? Are you sure they aren't barren?

5. pepino305

pepino305 New Egg

Nov 15, 2011
    All, the breed is Austalorp and RIR, I think. How do i determine the age? They might have run their course.

6. Toddrick

Toddrick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2014
    Indiana

What are the chances of all 15 stopping laying due to old age at the same time? Shouldn't they fade out slowly and at individual rates? The obvious question for OP would be, we're they laying regularly before, like every day, or had they always been sporadic? (They could have been fading out the whole time if sporadic, huh).

What else could it be? Something in the water, not enough sunlight? Illness? Honestly, I have no clue...but I sure would be interested to know what could cause such dramatic change.

7. LanceTN

LanceTN Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2014
    Toddrick it's based in the chickens molt cycle. Every time a chicken molts it's egg production decreases and after a couple molts it stops.

So yeah birds of the same breed that are the same age can go barren together.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by