Have 3 babies...should we get attached? Okay, it is probably too late

4urbanchicks

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 26, 2010
We just got 3 one week old chicks! The girls have named them, and totally fallen in love. So, the babies seem fine, eating, drinking and running around. But, I keep worrying that it is going to be traumatic if something happens to one or more of them! Are baby chicks pretty hardy? We live in town so we are only going to have 3 hens, so if one or more does not make it we would have to try to replace it right away.

We are keeping them warm, clean and with plenty of fresh water and food.

I am just as bad as the girls, I shot out the bed this morning and had to go check on them! I am totally in love too! :)

We have a Barred Rock, Welsummer, and Ameraucana. Millie, Serena and LaQuesha are their names....yep, we named them so we have it BAD!

Karey (one worried chick mom!)

We have one Barred Rock and she is turning out to be a wonderful little pullet. She is 7 months old and just hatched chicks - surprises! We actually thought that she had been gotten in the night by an owl.

I have 6 Ameraucana, 5 pullets and 1 roo. They hatched first of this month and are doing absolutely wonderful. BTW My kids named our chickens too. The roo was named by DH, Col. Sanders. We thought about naming 11 of the others after herbs and spices lol.

It is just so scary how attached we all are already! I am here at work worrying about how they are doing all alone at home. It is crazy! I just did not know what the usual survival of chicks is, and if it is not wise to get attached right away.

Do others feel the same as me?

Quote:
What is the temperament of the Ameraucanas like? I have heard they can be flighty.

This is the first time I've had chickens but these seem to be the most curious ones of my bunch. Grey (my sons) is absolutely one of the prettiest chicks I've seen. Their temperments are so far is very docile. My kids hold them a lot and they just take it (my son is 8 I have twins that are 5). As for the adult versions, I haven't a clue but I'll find out as we go. Maybe they are like dogs, depends on how they are raised?

I was worried, too. But my seven all lived, no illness... I wouldn't worry about it.

I have decided the chickens are going to be an experiment in making me stop worrying so much! You really have no control over a lot of it, so if you are giving them the best care possible, you really have to take what comes. I was just shocked at how quickly the little babies stole my heart!
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom