Have 4, 5 week old Sebastopol goslings that I am afraid to sex-Advice?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by banter, Jun 26, 2008.

1. banter

banter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Raymond Maine
    I have 4 beautiful Sebastopol goslings which I'd like to sex. Have all the pictures and technicalities on how to do it, but all sources say to leave it up to an expert-you can do permanent damage!
    Still waiting to see the amount of curling of the feathers . My goose, Zeena only has a few long feathers between her shoulder blades and is white/blue eyes. After doing weeks of research I was able to find out on some European waterfowl sites that she probably is the "Danube" strain, which is the standard in Europe. Gander , Zander is from Hoderrreads, and is gray, very curly but not long feathers. The kids came out one gray with brown eyes and three that appear silver or lavender with blue eyes-two with white splashing. Any body out there familiar with genetics of colored geese?
    I have found very little info after much research.

2. hatchcrazzzy

hatchcrazzzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2007
    kemp texas
    i have brown chinese geese and i cant tell what kind they are but i also heard that you could hurt them when sexing them so i will wait till they are bigger

3. banter

banter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Raymond Maine
    I very carefully tried to sex one and if I did it right, the one I was sure was a male is a female!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by