1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Have a Barred Rock Hen with a leg injury?green skin?PICS ADDED!!!help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by pupmom10, Feb 28, 2009.

1. pupmom10

pupmom10 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2009
    PA
    Hi everyone,

we are newbies, we picked up 5 BR hens today, got them home and set up a temporary coop for a few days, we noticed the one hen is limping, not using her foot, it looks to be cut? not sure if its broken, my hubby says its not broken, its between her "elbow" and wrist... not sure of the real names(newbie)

it has a little bit of dried blood on it, I am going to seperate her and try to get it healed, its a little swollen down to the toes, and a little green colored on the skin??? is this green color brusing?

I really hope its not broken,

what should we do, she eats and drinks just fine, should I clean it? with what? apply anything? get anything from the vet???

[​IMG]

let me know thanks!
    please email me at
    [email protected]
    thanks!

Last edited: Mar 1, 2009
  2. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    how old are they?

my hen went through the same thing and we let her rest for a few days in the chicken ICU...aka a cat carrier in the kitchen..

we think she may have jumped off the roost the wrong way and sprained her foot...

check the bottom of her foot for bumble foot too

here is a link on bumble foot
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=111905

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2009
  3. wendy

wendy On the Hill

Jun 14, 2007
    central louisiana
    we had a barred rock that hurt her foot when flying off the roost (dh redesigned the roost after that) we seperated her and gave her cooked oatmeal that i let cool off and yogurt along with her regular food. the oatmeal and yogurt would be good for her , oh also i squeezed a vit e capsule in her mouth for like 3 days i think.

good luck!

4. pupmom10

Feb 18, 2009
    PA
    Thanks! I seperated her last night before I went to bed, gaver her food water and lots of straw for a bed. she is eating and drinking just fine, thank goodness.

I am a little worried about the "green" skin? not sure if its bruising???

I looked at it again last night and it doestn look broken? Ill have to post pics. I was gonna put my homemade miracle salve on it, aloe vera, and lavender oil. after we wash it up a little.

can chickens survive with a broken leg, if it was broken?

5. wendy

wendy On the Hill

Jun 14, 2007
    central louisiana
    i don't know if our hen broke hers or not with the above post i made about it. but she did recover and has not had any more problems with her foot/leg. i know someone on here told me about the yogurt and oatmea and vit e too. worked a miracle in my personal opinion [​IMG]

will have to check back and see the pics you post .

6. FarmerDenise

FarmerDenise Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2007
    Sonoma County
    Chickens survive all kinds of injuries amazingly well. You should be able to feel if the leg is broken. I'd just clean it a bit, use your miracle salve on it and give her rest in a warm confined space. A bit extra protein won't hurt either. If it is an injury, you should see improvements real quick, like in a day or so.
    I have a hen who has a nasty limp, because she got stomped (beat up) by our large rhode island red hen. It took her a while to recover, she didn't have a broken leg, but something inside must have got broken (I couldn't feel it). Her limp is worse when the weather is bad and she has trouble jumping down from the roost, so I go and pick her up and put her down. She waits for me to do this. Otherwise she is a feisty little hen, who manages just fine.
    By the way chickens do bruise, and the green you see may well be a bruise mark.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2009
  7. pupmom10

Feb 18, 2009
    PA
    I just went out for some oatmeal and yogurt, they only had strawberry:pI hope thats okay? She ate the oatmeal in gulps! and I added pedialyte to her water. we have her in a basket in the house, she is sooooo quite and like a little puppy, just lets you do anything to her.

we splinted her leg with finger splints like they sell at the pharmacy. I put tea tree oil on it , a little miracle salve and we wrapped it up. Im so hoping that she is okay:(... Weve really bonded thru this [​IMG]

Does anyone know why her skin is green? its green up to the elbow part... Im hoping that she pulls thru

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by