1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

have a broody....am I doing this right?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Tsagirl, Jul 29, 2008.

1. Tsagirl

Tsagirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2007
    Eugene,OR
    My NN frizzle girl has been sitting on her nest now for a week. BUT, changes nests every day and leaves the eggs to get cold. She is kinda protective of just sitting on nothing but I keep trying to move her off the empty nest on to the other nest with eggs.
    sigh [​IMG] when I do this she gets on the eggs and does not move again till halfway during the day or the next day. Its a cycle with her.

So I have decided to move her into a cat crate(don't worry she is small and fits nicley) LOL!
    with shavings and food and water and her eggs to sit on. I went in to give her some water and she made her usuall protective squak at me, so I don't think she was upset, but he what do I know.

Here is the question:
    Is this ok ?
    When do I need to let her out to go to the bathroom?

Sorry never had a broody...all of your sugestions will be great!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 29, 2008
  2. RockyToggRanch

RockyToggRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2008
    Upstate NY
    When my blue sumatra finally started setting after she had 14 eggs, she did get up occaisionally and sit next to the nest or go out and roam around the yard for a spell. She' be gone for what I thought was too long, but every egg hatched and all were healthy. I guess she knows what she's doing. Perhaps her eggs needed to be cooler?

3. CleverYou

CleverYou Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2008
    i have a hen that also did that.....she would leave the nest to go eat and when she would come back she would get into another nest box ..the other nest box had eggs in it....when i took all eggs out of all nest boxes she didnt do it anymore......she was off the eggs over night one night,,,,,but all still hatched.......weird...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by