1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Have a broody hen but no fertile eggs. Can I put hatchery day-old chicks under her?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jondee, Jul 23, 2013.

1. jondee

jondee In the Brooder

Feb 5, 2012
    My Buff Orpington has been hopefully sitting on eggs for almost a week now [​IMG]. This is the second time she's gone broody this season, and she went through two broody phases last year. I would like to indulge her broodiness and slip some new chicks under her. Can this work? I am thinking I would move her to a different nest (a pet carrier that the hens lay in), and put the pet carrier in a shed with a small yard attached to it. That way, the hen and the chicks could be shut in the shed at night (safe from predators), and could cruise around the small yard during the day. When the chicks are bigger, I can move chicks and mom back into the chicken yard/coop with the other hens.

I also figured I'd give her another week or so of just sitting on eggs (I'm thinking along the lines of simulating what would happen if she had fertile eggs), then put a few chicks under her at night [​IMG].

Surely other people have done this, right? How can I increase the chance of success?

Oh, and if all else fails, I can go with a heat lamp in the shed for the chicks, but since this hen seems determined to go the mama route, I thought I'd give it a go.

Joni

2. five is my dog

five is my dog Songster

Jul 4, 2013
    i would put chickies under her!!!! it doesnt matter when.

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Your plan sounds good! I would wait until she's been sitting 2-3 weeks, just in case.

4. five is my dog

five is my dog Songster

Jul 4, 2013
    you could but mama hens dont have a calender they sit until babys come. so you could put them under her today for all she cares she just wants some babys

5. jondee

jondee In the Brooder

Feb 5, 2012
    Thanks so much for the helpful and reassuring replies [​IMG]! I'm excited to see how things go!

Joni

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by