Have a broody hen, just ordered hatching eggs...what is the next step?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by SueSteeves, Oct 21, 2011.

1. SueSteeves

SueSteeves Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2010
    Southern California
    Hello everyone! Well I am going to try and get some new life around here the old fashioned way! I have a 1.5 year old broody bantam cochin. She has been sitting in her empty nest box for 3 weeks now. She just won't give up!!!! So, I bought some Light Brahma hatching eggs online.

Questions:

1. Did I wait too long to get eggs? Will she still sit for 21 days if I put them under her when they get here in a few days? Or, should I just scrap the eggs and try and find some day old chicks?

2. How do I get the eggs under her? I have heard that it is best to sneak them under her at night.

Thanks!

2. Erica

Erica Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2010
    Hi SueSteeves,

The way I see it, everything depends on whether she's in good condition and whether she gets off to eat and drink. As long as they do that, a broody can sit for quite a long time without suffering too much (otherwise they tend to waste away on the nest).

I would give the eggs a go under her, personally.

But it could be tricky. Firstly is she in a good place to hatch chickens? Think about whether rats can get the day-olds etc. Rats are good at sneaking under a hen at night... If she needs to be moved, you'd do that at night before going anywhere near her with eggs. And you'd want to make sure she's still sitting the next day, or her broodiness might break.

Secondly I would make sure she's mite free. Mites are the main cause of broodies getting off toward the end of sitting. If you haven't dusted her prior to this, it might be a wise idea to do it before putting any eggs near her. Always do these things at night if you can, to save stress (and so she goes back onto the nest).

Thirdly I would slip the eggs under her at night, and cross fingers... And make sure she keeps getting off once a day to eat and drink, so she's not getting too thin,

Hope this helps; it's not definitive by any stretch but it's what I'd do.

best wishes
    Erica

3. Johnn

Johnn Overrun With Chickens

Sep 5, 2011
    leave the eggs to sit point down for 24 hours after reciving [​IMG]

4. SueSteeves

Mar 18, 2010
    Southern California
    Thanks Erica and Johnn!!!!!

She is in a secure seperate coop, mite free and is getting up periodically to eat & drink. Also thanks for the tip about letting the eggs sit point down. I should be recieving the eggs tomorrow and will follow all advice given. Fingers crossed that I get some healthy dark Brahmas......and more girls than boys!

5. Angiebubs

Angiebubs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2011
    Amery, WI WI/MN border
    Does your broody hen sit on the nest even at night?

6. SueSteeves

Mar 18, 2010
    Southern California
    Angiebubs-

Yup, all night long. Went out at 3 am to check once, and she is on it when I go to bed and when I wake up at 5 a.m.

Good sign?

7. Angiebubs

Angiebubs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2011
    Amery, WI WI/MN border
    SueSteeves-no clue LOL just learning as I read along. I bought a 5 month old hen that had been broody for previous owner. She jsut started laying for me last week and so far she lays it and then goes to play. So curious what "broody" meant as far as when/how often they are on their nest.

8. N&MSchroeder

N&MSchroeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2011
    SE Idaho
    I just had a broody hen hatch 5 chicks two weeks ago. This was my first time and the situation was much like yours. I could not break her, so I found some local fertilized eggs. Before I gave her the eggs, she would find unfertilized eggs to sit on, no matter how often I moved her, removed the eggs, etc. When I finally gave her the fertilized eggs, she literally purred in happiness and has done a fabulous job with them. I didn't sneak them in, just pushed them under her and she lifted herself up and spread her wings to accommodate them. She REALLY wanted to brood them and it has been a great experience watching a hen become a mother. Good luck on your hatch and post pictures when your new chicks arrive! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by