have a bully chick already, what to do??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Mommysongbird, Apr 11, 2011.

1. Mommysongbird

Mommysongbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    Small Town, Virginia
    They aren't even a day old and already our first born is bullying the other two in the brooder, bullies the newest the most and I have another smaller one to put in the brooder in a while. What to do??? [​IMG]

2. llaaadyel

llaaadyel Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Lower NY
    What kind of lighting do you have in the brooder. Red bulbs seem to cut down on the pecking. Although I just got a bunch of chicks today and had one pecking a bit even with the light. Overcrowding in the brooder could also cause some pecking.

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

+1

Lots and lots of space is #1. Boredom, crowding are no good. The larger the brooder, the fewer the issues.

Red lighting is #2.

Flip on the bright over head lights and the rowdiness that breaks out is unreal. Turn the lights off and within minutes, things are calm again. It is uncanny.

4. krcote

krcote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    In addition to the lighting suggestions, make sure you remember that as humas we find the pecking order disturbing. Turns out, it is necessary. AND you shouldn't fight it. As long as you are sure you have everything right with lighting, feeding watering and space... let nature be [​IMG]

5. snazzyboots

snazzyboots Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2011
    baltimore
    I made 2 brooders. One for big kids one for just hatched til they get stronger.

6. Mommysongbird

Mar 17, 2011
    Small Town, Virginia
    Quote:We have a red brooder light that is WAY too hot and there are only 3 chicks in there right now.

7. bburn

bburn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Delaware, Arkansas
    put a little 'safe' stuffed animal in there....something for the little one to get behind if it needs to get away....chickens and their pecking is so normal and distressing.....

8. Mommysongbird

Mar 17, 2011
    Small Town, Virginia
    Quote:Well, I think I have covered everything

Red light <check>

Water <check>

Feed <too early? and daddy has it in my van at work, but will be home in about 5 minutes>

Space <check> have LOTS of that

Even have a lovey in there that the little bully likes to peck at. If he/she would only peck at it?? [​IMG]

9. llaaadyel

llaaadyel Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Lower NY
    Raise the light to cool it down a bit. I had to readjust mine 3 times before I got it right. I have the clamp on light that is clamped to a cabinet next to the brooder so I actually adjusted the brooder hight by putting books under it. If you only have 3 in there I would assume that the brooder is big enough and they can get out of the heat if they want to. I totally agree with the other poster that we as humans are very disturbed by the establishment of the pecking order but it is what comes naturally to them. As long as they aren't relentlessly pecking and drawing blood, it will probably be fine.

10. dixielou

dixielou Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2013
    Here's my bully. She/he is an Ameracauna. Would like to know if she is a he. Can't have a rooster. She/he is 3 weeks old. She is bullying the other new chick. They have lots of space, but Ellie is now separated until she behaves. Any input would be great!

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by