1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Have a chance to buy laying hens....Need Advice

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by mtnhomechick, Nov 11, 2008.

1. mtnhomechick

mtnhomechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    Sorry, I didn't know where to post this question........MODs, feel free to move it to the appropriate place.

I have a chance to buy layer pullets........all under a year for $7 a hen. I have room for 6 more and would like to since they are the breeds I like..BR, RIR,EE, BO, BSL, BA. I was thinking of getting a variety of 6.

My problem is that I am worried about bringing strange hens in with my flock.

My girls are super healthy and I would be sick if I introduced them to a disease or lice or mites, etc.

What should I be looking for when I go to see them and pick some out?

Do you think this is too risky?

The man is selling them because he has lost his job and can't afford to feed them all.

Also, are bsl as good as rsl. I love the rsl but never had bsl.

Advice welcomed.

Thanks,

Mary

2. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    I have always quarantined or separated all new birds I add to my flock even from trusted friends flock that appear to be very healthy. I advise being very careful if you have a place to separate them for a full 4 weeks I say go ahead but if not I would not risk it.

Henry

3. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    I am a huge fan of the Black Sex Links and I am positive you will like them!
    I would look for nice red combs, clear eyes and shiny plumage and bright legs that don't look dull and scaley. Watch how the chickens act as well, do they act normal or are they lethargic or are their feathers puffed up? All these will help you find healthy birds.
    Regardless, when you get them home, isolate them for 30 days just to be sure. Good Luck!!!

4. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    my BSL give me the biggest eggs...they are tame...my daughter walks around with them in her stroller like they are her babies...

5. mtnhomechick

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    I have run space for isolation, but I only have one coop for grown hens. [​IMG]

6. BayCityBabe

BayCityBabe Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    What you will read is that they need to be quarantined for 30 days. I think that might allow you to detect cocci, lice and mites. What I am very unsure about, even after researching this, is whether a flock owner is safe from some of the big ol' baddies (CRD, infectious bronchitis, coryza, etc.). It is my understanding that many poultry illnesses create carrier birds that look perfectly healthy & infect others.
    I accepted new birds this summer & ended up with several sick birds. Luckily, we didn't loose any. If you were my sister, I would say, "Awww, Mary, just wait 'til Spring & get some day-olds."
    (Or take my pesky LG off my hands & hatch some... [​IMG] )
    Best of luck to you whatever you decide.

7. mtnhomechick

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    Quote:Actually, I am just being greedy!!! We just finished building a second coop and run for my 6 BA and 2 BR 3 month olds!!! Plus I have my other 40 assorted!!!

BUT......I have the fever bad. $7 for a full grown layer is a great deal and I don't have some of the breeds.

I don't know where this will end with me. Chickens, Chickens Chickens!!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 11, 2008
  8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Well, even if someone was giving them away free, I myself would pass. I have a closed flock and the only issues I've had to deal with are bumblefoot and internal laying, neither contagious. It's tempting, I know!

Last edited: Nov 11, 2008
  9. mtnhomechick

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    I am a Chicken Lover NOT a Chicken Doctor. LOL

Thanks everyone............guess I'm going to pass. Darn, it's hard.

But it does seem too risky. I can't take the chance.

Mary

10. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I would say go for it.

I've been buying and selling birds for close to nine years now and I have never had any inssues introducing new birds. The worst problem I ever had was one of my birds getting sick after coming home from a show, but if you are careful you should be able to buy new birds and introduce them without issue.

You can separate them, treat them with Sevin dust for lice/mites, and then introduce them. I admit, there have been a few times I've introduced new birds without quarantine, but I've never once encountered an illness. There is a chance for it, but so far that risk has been very low.

One of the best parts about having birds is getting new ones! It's good to be cautious, but don't be overcautious. Chickens are pretty hardy creatures. Unless you have a completely closed flock, there should be no reason you couldn't bring in new birds. I've had to throw together some odd set ups just for quarantine and I've even had chickens in my garage for a short time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by