Have a coturnix question?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by TexasChris, May 20, 2011.

1. TexasChris

TexasChris Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2011
    Just came back from my quail pen and noticed one of my big females looks like she could possibly have a small portion of her liver hanging out of her butt. What do I do? What causes this? she is eating and drinking normally still and walking around the cage as healthy as ever I only noticed after she caught my eye because she is continuosly shaking her butt. If anyone has any ideas I would greatly appreaciate it as this is my first problem with my quail.
    Thanks
    Chris

2. mhwc56

mhwc56 Chillin' With My Peeps

sounds like a prolapse ...never had that issue but others have and if you do a search on here it will tell you more. i seem to recall something about using Preparation H.......

3. TexasChris

May 2, 2011
    OK I just went and caught her and put her in quarantine it looks with a closer look maybe the last inch of her intestine has doubled over and come out the backside! any ideas?

4. MobyQuail

MobyQuail c. giganticus

Sep 10, 2010
    Quailtropolis
    someone more knowledgeable will answer, but does sound like a similar issue recently diagnosed as a prolapse.
    I think they said, #1 separate her and #2 hydrate her.

5. mhwc56

you definitely need to read what's on BYC about prolapses.....

6. TexasChris

May 2, 2011
    Ok definetly fits the description of prolapse. so read all about it cleaned it with bactine to kill germs and any pain and smeared honey all over it and almost all of it imeadeatly sucked back inside her so im gonna give her a couple of hours and retreate if it looks helpful and just keep her well fed and water and vitamins and electrolytes and see what happens over the next couple of days. She was like within a hair of ending up on the bbq pit this evening before i found the articles on prolapse and that it may be healable!
    Thanks
    Chris

7. mhwc56

glad to hear that there's hope...keep us posted.

8. TexasChris

May 2, 2011
    If nothing else this may just be a start on the marination process. :[​IMG]

9. mhwc56

Quote:ewwwwww...thanks for the thought ......or NOT! LOL

10. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    You can put some preparation H on her bum to help. I do that with some button quail when they had prolapsed and one of my older Coturnix hens that lays a very large egg.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by