Have a couple handsome roos but no idea what they are....

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by CoensChickens, Aug 9, 2014.

1. CoensChickens

CoensChickens Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2014
    Alpha, WI
    I have a mix batch of birds, just a hatchery assortment. Great for the experience but out of 24 birds I got 6 hens so I wont be doing that again. Anyways, I have a couple of roos that are big boys and are great with my girls so I think I may keep them around to help with predators.
    Any help on the breed would be great, I honestly just really like to do my research on them and learn about them. I know what the birds I am ordering in the future are so hopefully this wont happen anymore.
    Thanks in advance!!
    [​IMG]

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

What hatchery did they come from? That can help narrow things down as the selection can vary from one to another.

The back bird would be a hatchery Rhode Island Red. The front bird, honestly I'm thinking mixed breed, but from a hatchery....a birchen something. I'd thought Marans, but they should have white skin......

3. RoostersCrow HensDeliver!

RoostersCrow HensDeliver! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    SE Michigan
    Did you get them from Mt Healthy Hatchery? The black/birchen roo in the back looks like one of their "Commercial Blacks" and the front one could be too, since he isn't a solid black or red.

4. CoensChickens

Jun 7, 2014
    Alpha, WI
    They came from sunnyside hatchery in Beaver Dam wisconsin. I wont order any more birds from them unless they are the broilers because we get awesome quality broilers there. The roos are not staying long but I like to just learn more about them :)
    I think they are described as a "Special Black" but only the one roo, we call him Hank with the big white neck, in this color has turned out to be so big and beautiful. Others look like him but are not near as big. We also have ones that are brown and black. I'm sure they're just production mutts lol
    We only have two roos that look like this one, one is as big as Hank
    [​IMG]
    This is just a snapshot of some of our chickens....

[​IMG]

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Agree on the production mutts. They do make pretty colors, though! And from the looks of those guys, will make decent table birds also.

6. CoensChickens

Jun 7, 2014
    Alpha, WI
    Yes, some of them are pretty stunning :) only bad thing is they are a bit aggressive with our hens and I think that's why they aren't laying yet. :-( and not all of them are a decent size yet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by