Have a couple questions regarding a broody hen and hatching!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by DMSrabbit, Dec 26, 2010.

1. DMSrabbit

DMSrabbit Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Ok so i had a hatch set on December 2nd at about 10am under a broody hen. I candled the eggs under her at day 10. I had 13 under her, threw the 2 infertile's away, and let her sit on the remaining 11. I have only actually seen 5 different chicks, but then i moved her today and she is still sitting on 4 eggs!! So hopefully she has hatched 7 thus far!!! Here's my questions:

How long do i let her sit on the remaining eggs? Doing the math, if i set them on the 2nd, They were a FULL 21 days on the morning of 12/24/2010 at 10am. I did not see any evidence of hatching, until the middle of the 24th, and then i saw cracked shells and heard a peep. Then yesterday on Christmas, a few more hatched, and i got to see a few Christmas fuzzy butts!! I just went out this morning, and it looks like 1 more has hatched, so my question is, how long do i let her sit on the remaining eggs? I candled all of them and they seem to be full (large black mass in the inside, but cannot discern movement), so how long do i wait?

As of right now, its been almost a FULL 25 days of incubation. There are four eggs left, and i want to open them up and examine them if they are quitters, but how do i know if they are? I have heard so many horror stories of people opening up shells of live babies before, and i don't want to be responsible for killing a possibility. I am not going to touch them for a while, and let nature finish its course, im just kinda wondering when SHE is going to give up on them, and move off the nest.

I was thinking about waiting another full 2 days, that would be 27 days of incubation. They should ALL be done by then right? Thoughts?

Next question is: When the hell is she going to get up off the nest so i can finally see the chicks? I really wanna look at em, but they are ALWAYS underneath her. Every once in a while i get to see a little head poking out, but for the most part, they are keeping warm.. They are darn cute though!!

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Nate

2. CoffeeCow

CoffeeCow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2010
    Washington, NC
    I'm a bit new to this as well, my broody was loaded up on the 4th, hatched 3 so far, 3 to go.
    From what I have read on here, day 25 is the day so stop when using an incubator... but not sure about broodys.
    I am going to take the unhatched from her on day 25 (late)

3. CorgiHouse

CorgiHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2010
    Boring, OR
    I'm no expert for sure, but I have had one hatch under a broody. What I did was just wait until the hen left the nest. At that point it was about 3-4 days past the due date, and she had spent the previous 4 days on the nest without coming off. Once she decided it was time to be done, and took the new little ones out of the nest, I removed the remaining 2 eggs she had there. So that does equate to about the same time-frame as the incubator post-hatch waiting period.

4. DMSrabbit

Dec 6, 2010
    Portland, OR
    So does that reach a consensus of 25 days? or should i wait for 26? Or just pull them out from under her when she finally gets off? Also does anyone know when the babies will actually get out from under her so that i can see them?

5. CoffeeCow

Apr 29, 2010
    Washington, NC
    I have a really sweet BO, she lets me pet her and then the babies usually come out to say hi [​IMG]

6. DMSrabbit

Dec 6, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Yeah, i wish i could pick her up, but she is very protective. Plus i heard its not good to pick her up as she might have babies tucked up in her wings.. I have seen 7 so far, and im just gonna wait until tomorrow at 12pm (a full 25 days) to grab the remaining eggs.. She should want to get off by then.. I hope [​IMG]

7. CoffeeCow

Apr 29, 2010
    Washington, NC
    ooh, I don't pick her up, not at all.
    I just pet her, and usually the chicks come out to see whats making her so happy [​IMG]

if you pick her up, you risk her stepping on an egg or baby when you put her back. now we don't want that at all...

Last edited: Dec 26, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by