Have a few questions from Southern Michigan

GeeJay

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 14, 2011
Horton, MI
I am raising my first set of 25 chicks (Cornish X ) and have 12 adult Quail and 11 baby quail! With 70 more in the incubator!

So I am wondering what are the best layers for this part of the great Lakes? That is my next endeavor! We likely wont build the coop till fall, and get some layers in the spring. Is that the best time to start?

welcome-byc.gif
, I am new, so I may not be able to answer your questions, but there are some very experienced folks here who will chime in. So, welcome, I do know cold hardy is what you are looking for, I do think Spring is what I have read is best, may be able to avoid a molt the first year. I am just repeating what I have seen, my first set of chicks are 10 and 6 weeks old, but I will know more next year.

frow.gif
&
welcome-byc.gif
from west Michigan!
Well I think a good time to start would be now!
lol.png
Actually chickenstock is coming up and it would a great way to speak with like minded folks. You can find more info by checking on the link in my siggy. I have to say that I like the Delawares and the Black Austrolorps for eggs. I will soon find out if I like them for meat too as they are supposed to be a good dual purpose bird. They are both also sweet tempered.
Feel free to join in on the Michigan chat thread here https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=6688075#p6688075

Thank you all!! I will continue to research...and maybe get my hubby & dad-in-law to build the coop sooner rather than later!

Back
Top Bottom