Have a few ?'s about the Brinsea Octagon

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by hencrazy, Jan 8, 2011.

1. hencrazy

hencrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    I was planning on purchasing a Octagon Advance EX but first I have a few questions before spending a ton of money. The only room that I can put it in (where crazy cat can't get to it) can vary in temp - especially in the winter - by a good 10 degrees. Will it be ok? I am also wondering if the extra money for the digital stuff and the humidity pump is worth it. I work a lot - often times I'm gone from 7:30am-11:30pm - I was thinking the EX would make things a bit easier. What do you guys think?

2. Baralak

Baralak Chillin' With My Peeps

Well (and this isn't directed at you) to be honest..

The ECO w/ Turner --- Stupid Proof But you have to add water, ect.
    The Advance EX with Humidity Pump -- Completely moron proof.

Since you are going to be gone those types of hours I would spend the bucks.

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

That is exactly why I got the EX models, because I wanted something pretty stupid-proof. The units do a great job!
    Room temp can vary but not, well, like several times a day. Drafts are the worst, like being set under an A/C vent. If you mean it is colder at night, then warmer in the day, in that sort of cycle, you have just described my guest room, where I have 7 incubators set up.
    [​IMG]

Hope that helps you make your decision.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2011
  4. BlacksheepCardigans

BlacksheepCardigans Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2010
    Southeast NH
    In my experience ten degrees don't bother it.

I agree; with those hours I'd at least get a turner and I'd seriously consider getting the advance/ex model.

5. hencrazy

hencrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    I think I will go with the Octagon Advance EX. I'm thinking if I go with the Eco I'll just end up getting the turner and humidity pump eventually anyway. It's cheaper to buy it all at once now. Hope it works well cuz I plan on hatching lots of eggs.

6. enggass

enggass Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
    You can't get the Humidity Pump later with the Eco... just the turner. Not sure why...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by