have a heart traps & chickens

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by janjan1, Apr 7, 2009.

1. janjan1

janjan1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Armuchee, GA
    Looks like I have a possum getting my chicks & eggs. Lost a couple of two day old EE chicks yesterday. I also planted a egg under a sitting hen last night. This morning she was plucked on her hind end, looks like she put up a heck of a fight for that one egg, and the egg was eaten. Pieces of the shell was at the nest along with all of her tail feathers. The hen is ok, running around squacking etc.very upset at losing that one egg. She is a determined sitter when she goes broody.
    I want to catch the critter that is raiding my nests and doing all this distruction. I have a "have a heart" trap. I've caught squirels in it before. Can I just set this trap with say some tuna in the nest area? I'm thinking that the chickens will leave it alone. Anyone else ever use a have a heart trap to capture a pest?
    TIA
    Jan

2. Rogue Rooster

Rogue Rooster Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2009
    Rogue River Oregon
    I have two traps and use them all the time. They are great and work well. I would put it outside of the coop if you can and then the chickens won't trip it before the opossum. cat food works well for me and Marshmallows is the best for coons. Good luck let us know how you do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by