Have a poorly hen, need help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Zo, Jun 26, 2011.

1. Zo

Zo New Egg

Jun 26, 2011
    One of my chickens, Penny is very poorly [​IMG] I took her to the vet the day before yesterday but they didnt really have a clue what was wrong with her.
    I think she might have banged her head because the night before she was out in the garden with the other chickens and all of a sudden I heard lots of squawking and flapping, something had obviously scared them, I rushed out to see what was wrong but I dont know what happened.
    Afterwards I noticed Pennys walking was very off balance and wobbly and she was acting strange, I checked her over but she didnt seem to be injured in anyway so I thought when she got scared and panicked she maybe flew into something and banged her head.
    The next morning she was no better so I took her to the vet, I thought she was dying as she seemed quite lifeless and when the vet picked her up she started flapping because she was scared and then she just went limp and closed her eyes, the vet said it looked kind of like a seizure and suggested putting her to sleep because she was baffled and had never seen anything like it before.
    I wanted to give her a chance to recover though as she didnt seem to be in pain. The vet gave me some medication to give her which she said might help.
    So now Ive got her in the house in a pet carrier with the door open so she can come out if she wants but she has stayed in there since we got back from the vet. She is more alert than she was but she isnt really walking at all. She is eating and drinking but Ive been having to hand feed her or put it right in front of her because she wont come out of her box and go to it.
    I got her out of the box last night and put her on the floor to see if she would walk but she wouldnt.
    Does anyone have any idea what might be wrong with her and if she will be able to recover? Is there anything I can do to help her?
    Im really worried about her, any advice would be really appreciated.
    Thanks.

2. Zo

Zo New Egg

Jun 26, 2011
    Anybody? [​IMG]

3. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

If it is an injury, it takes time to heal. check her real well for any bite wounds or scratches. Give her some vitamin E gel caps, pricked open and dripped in her beak if she won't eat it on bread etc... Give vitamins for poultry in water. keep her hydrated and eating. Give it some time, if she went into shock it takes awhile for the body to bounce back.

4. Zo

Zo New Egg

Jun 26, 2011
    Thankyou for replying.
    I have checked her over really well, the vet checked her aswell but there are definately no wounds or signs of injury.
    I got her out of her box again a little while ago to see if she would try and walk, she did try a couple of times but she is still really wobbly and after a few steps she fell down.
    Could it really just be shock? Would it affect her that badly?

5. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Yes, shock can affect them. their body seems to go into limbo and jello like, and takes time to build strength. I have a duck that got ran over by a emu, he lost a bunch of feathers and went into shock. It's been 3 days and she is just now walking well.

6. Zo

Zo New Egg

Jun 26, 2011
    Well thats a bit of a relief, I didnt think there was much chance of her getting better but hopefully it is just shock and she will recover. I will give her the vitamins like you suggested and hope for the best.
    Thanks alot for your help [​IMG]

7. sammi77

sammi77 Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2011
    One of my girls went a bit funny when an egg broke inside her. My Hubby picked her up and she struggled, put her down then she just stood there like she was on another planet about 5 mins later the runny bit of the egg came out then the soft shell.

Maybe something to think about?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by