Have a quail crop issue

Crazy4Chicks

Songster
12 Years
Nov 20, 2007
Glendale, AZ
I have 4 coturnix quail ( adults )

one of my females I have noticed has a very large crop - feels like a squishy water balloon.

they are inside in a cage that is 48 X 24 - they are fed 30% protein quail food along with other treats like cooked rice -- corn -- and I grow grass in swallow dishes and when it " needs to be mowed " I let them have it for the day along with food and treats they have fresh water

should I remove the food at night to let her crop go down ?

I have felt the crop area and I can not feel anything in it ( other than the squishy feeling ) it does not feel like there is anything impacting her crop.

she is still very active eating - drinking - running around - mating - and lays an egg a day ( I think she is my double yolk layer )

culling her is NOT something I want to do since I only have 1 male and 3 females.

so any advice to offer ?

well I have noticed it has been squishy like this for a few days now
it does not seem to be slowing her down or anytihng - but I am going to have to name her " Dolly "
wink.png

wonder if I should invent a quail bra for her
lau.gif

lau.gif
I honestly wouldnt worry about it too much but keep an eye on her if she's still acting well maybe she just has a fattier crop area than the others it sounds like you spoil them well
big_smile.png

thank you both for the fast answers LOL

my quail are very spoil rotten - since I no longer have my chickens the quail are getting 100% of all my attetion ( well that and my dogs )

I have 1 white male and 3 brown females ( I guess they are standard brown color ?? ) they are living the good life inside -- the rest of the flock went to live at the local zoo as bottom of the flight run cleaners they are loving it there !

I want to move my 4 to an outside pen but I live inside city limits and I am not sure they are allowed outside - I really do need to do something they STINK
sickbyc.gif
I am having to clean the cage at least 2 times a week

and I clean the buttons once a week

I will keep an eye on Dolly and make sure she does not get to front end heavy
lau.gif

I cooked our first quail dinner last night
droolin.gif
I had a few extra males

now my DH wants me to put a few more eggs in the bator and hatch a couple more to process

I think she is just a big eater. I had this with one of my delewares. She turned out to be my best layer too. I thought she had a tumor at first and I just let her be.

Good luck with her, but I have found the best 'eaters' are also the best producers.

Yeah, as long as she's acting normal and the crop isn't hard or funky smelling or whatever, then don't worry about it. They're SUPPOSED to have squishy crops, and a "big" crop is just a full crop in most cases.

oh good to know she is normal LOL

hmmm does this mean I need to take her to Weight Watchers if she gets any bigger ? LOL

I added a shoebox filled with soil and shavings today to give them something to do - so maybe it will help her burn off some of that food she is gobbling down LOL

I know they are coturnix quail but dang they eat like cornish meat birds - what a bunch of little piggies I have !

Back
Top Bottom