1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

have a question about chick turning mean

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by augiedranch, May 4, 2008.

1. augiedranch

augiedranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    Texas
    i have hand raised ten chicks since they were two days old. i absolutley LOVE these guys.
    anywase, one of my EE's ababgale, use to be one of the FRIENDLIEST ones of the bunch. they are 8 weeks old now,, and for about a week now. abagale wont come when i call, barely eat out of my hand, scared to death of me.. she used to sit in my lap and jump on my arms and eat out of my hands on my arms,,,, she screams like im killing her if i try to touch her... did i do something wrong? i just dont know what to do.... the others sit in my lap, follow me around, and sit on my shoulders... its just weird, her coming from extremely sweet,,, to extremly scared of me... what shall i do? [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    I do not think she is scared of you...she is cautious...is she by chance the top hen or challenging for that position?

My light brahma was the same way and when she started challenging my NHR for top spot, she became aloof also. Now that she is in top dog spot, she avoids me a lot and you would think she is being tortured when you pick her up to hear her.

she is mellowing a bit now that she has been in top dog position for a bit over a week. they are almost 7 weeks old. So it could be just a heirarchy thing.

3. ncgnance

ncgnance Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2007
    Iredell County, NC
    Please don't think I'm being smart or anything like that, but, these ARE chickens. Their attention span is about 5 minutes, or at least mine are. I think the reason animals like us so much is because we give them good things to eat. They are animals, and would much rather be around their own kind. I'm probably gonna regret this post....

4. augiedranch

Mar 14, 2008
    Texas
    Quote:thank you, that makes sense

5. augiedranch

Mar 14, 2008
    Texas
    Quote:well, but my other chickens love me.. one even tries to follow me inside, and demands to drink sweet tea... i dont know... i guess, im not a chicken.. so ill never be loved by them as much as another chicken would

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by