Have a question about chickens and goat food?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by chickenlady08, Nov 30, 2011.

1. chickenlady08

chickenlady08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    I already know that it is not good for my goats to eat my chicken food but is it ok for my chickens to eat my goats sweet feed?

2. The Old Whittler

The Old Whittler Out Of The Brooder

Oct 31, 2011
    I had dairy goats for several years and had chickens at the same time and didn't have any problems with the chickens eating the goat feed. I feed sweet feed and shelled corn so I don't think you have anything to worry about.

3. chickenlady08

Jul 27, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    Thanks, that is what I was thinking but wanted to make sure cause it happens here a bit. lol

4. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    chickens are nearly invincible in what they can injest [​IMG]

5. dragonlair

dragonlair Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2008
    Maine
    Goats can eat chicken feed, however it contains a lot of corn so it can cause digestive problems in goats. The biggest problem is the medicated feeds, that stuff is not good for goats.

6. chickenlady08

Jul 27, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    Kari_dawn thanks and you are so right about what they can eat. I am amazed to have something that they don't eat. lol

dragonlair I always lock my goats up so that the chickens can eat their food or else the goats would eat it all for them. I also limit the amount of corn goats eat so they hopefully won't have digestive issues.

Thanks for the input.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by