Have a question about chicks and mother hens'

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by c.wilson, Nov 20, 2008.

1. c.wilson

c.wilson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2008
    Hey everybody i have a question about mother hens and chicks...i have around 30-35 eggs in the bator...and i have them due to hatch the same day my broody hen is due...the eggs in the bator are from my bb red old english, my red pyle old english and my silver duckwing and barred old english game. the ones under my broody hen are silver and golden sebrights(first time with bantams so im trying it out and see how it goes)...now there are 5 under her..well theres 3 in the same nest (all standard cochins)...im wondering if when my eggs hatch in the bator if i can put them under the broody hens since the eggs are due to hatch around the same time...thanks for your help

2. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    I think I read somewhere on here to put them under her at night. But don't go by what I say. I don't know about all those eggs. Someone else who knows better will chime in I'm sure. Good luck. [​IMG]

3. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

Talk about a confused hen... Going to bed with 3 eggs an waking up with 30 babies. Bet she would take them all.

Would be a sight to see!

4. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    Dont trust her, I have had broodies attack a added chick, even after watching and she seemed to be fine with the new one, then about an hour later she realized there was an extra, she herded hers to one side and attacked the added one. I thought I had gotten away with adding, but somehow after a while she caught on.

5. c.wilson

Jul 4, 2008
    oh ok then...thanks for your help

6. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    What kind of chicken is she ?? Do you think 30 chicks would fit under her ??

I have given babies to my broody hens and have no problems doing it, a lot of people on here do it !! I think it depends on your hen !! some hens will mother anything with no problem some wont, If you try it and your sure she can fit all of them under her (or some of them) I would try maybe 2-4 at a time and she how she does !! Good luck

7. ShysCreations

ShysCreations Chillin' With My Peeps

Our silkie/cochin cross hen, Ruby, was only broody a day or so. I had 3 sets of banty cochin & silkie eggs staggered a week apart in the incub hatching. So on her 3rd broody day I put 2 under her that night. She took 'em. Each hatch was small, so I then added another 3 next week and lastly 5 on the following week. She was mom to 10 adopted chicks. I did take out the oldest 2 chicks for a night when introducing the last 5. I've heard different age chicks are not recommended together but these all did fine in a large rabbit cage.
    Those 2 breeds are excellent mom's!

8. c.wilson

Jul 4, 2008
    they are all standard cochins...3 of them in the nest...all sisters...stick together like glue always out foraging together, rooster together..i have never seen them get into a fight with eachother...they weight around 12 pounds

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by