1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Have a question about egg color....

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by peewee, Dec 31, 2008.

1. peewee

peewee Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2008
    Orlando, Florida
    I have only two hens of laying age right at the moment. My black sex link gives me these really pretty brown eggs. Yesterday I got a really pretty yellow-olive egg with brown speckles on it. I was so happy that my EE decided to lay for me. Today I went out and found a beautiful blue green egg. I know for a fact that my sex link didn't lay that egg. Why would my EE be laying such totally different looking eggs? The eggs are darker than what the picture shows.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Gallus_domesticus

Gallus_domesticus Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2008
    Arizona
    One of my EE's occasionally gives me a speckled egg like this. I guess always thought it was just dirt. Maybe someone out there has a real explanation?

3. Gallus_domesticus

Gallus_domesticus Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2008
    Arizona
    Beautiful hen, by the way. Do you know what color she was as a chick?

4. peewee

peewee Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2008
    Orlando, Florida
    Gallus_domesticus, Thanks for the compliment. Sorry. Couldn't tell you what color chick she was. I bought her off a guy when she was almost grown. I wish that he had others like her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by