1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Have a question about lice?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickenlady08, Nov 16, 2010.

1. chickenlady08

chickenlady08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    I have a friend that I met on this site and she was given some Silkie chicks (varying ages). She already had some Silkies and unfortunately the new additions have lice and so now hers have lice as well. What is the best treatment for chicks like 2 weeks and older. Sevin or a drop of Ivermectin on the shoulders or what? And the reason she knows the new chickens had lice is she has gotten chickens from her before and the same thing has happened and she had to treat all of hers as well.

thanks in advance

2. kleeo12

kleeo12 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 9, 2010
    I use Sevin in the areas that they dust themselves in :)

3. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I would clean out their brooder area really good, sprinkle the Seven Dust around it, and then dust each chick. I believe you have to repeat the process in 10-14 days to kill the hatching lice too.

4. chickenlady08

chickenlady08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    Thank you for the replies. My friend has talked to a breeder that she has gotten eggs from and she told her to use the Sevin. Yeah!

Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by