have a question about pinless peepers...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by rhodered10, Aug 11, 2011.

1. rhodered10

rhodered10 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2010
    we just got our pinless peepers today i havent tried to put them on yet but i have one question about them. i know that you put the 2 pin type things into their nostrils but no one seems to tell where in their nostril you should put them, i am afraid that if you just put them directly in they may not be able to breathe through their nose any more and i definatly dont want that to happen. so if anyone who has used these before could tell me about this that would be very helpful. thanks in advance.

2. buckabucka

buckabucka Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2010
    Fairfield, Maine
    My Coop
    They do go directly in the nostril. The bird should still be able to breathe. It is definitely easier to have 2 people working on this! We waited until evening and I wrapped the bird in a towel. DH used a plier-like tool (and headlamp!) to open the peepers and insert the pins into her nostrils. We wiggled them a bit to make sure they were in securely and to confirm the hen was breathing through her nostrils, and then we set the hen back on the roost.

This was much easier than the time we tried putting them on during the day, and the whole flock tried grabbing the peepers and eventually pulled them off. [​IMG] They seem to adjust to them much better if you can put them on right before they sleep.
    Good luck! It definitely solved our problem with the feather-eating leghorn.

3. rhodered10

rhodered10 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2010
    thanks, we are going to try to put them on tonight hopefully it will work! thanks again for answering my question!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by