have a question on breeding turkeys

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by pittmanbirds, Nov 1, 2016.

1. pittmanbirds

pittmanbirds Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2016
    Pennsylvania
    I know that a hen and gobbler white broad breasted turkey cant breed but what would happen if a eastern wild gobbler breed a white broad breasted hen? is it possible? what would the outcome be?

2. R2elk

R2elk Overrun With Chickens

Feb 24, 2013
    Natrona County, Wyoming
    While rare, BBs have been known to breed successfully especially if they are in their first breeding season.

I personally had a Bourbon Red jake successfully breed a yearling BBW hen. It is possible for heritage toms to breed BBs successfully but it works best if both are in their first year of breeding.

3. pittmanbirds

Oct 28, 2016
    Pennsylvania
    But if a heritage Jake or gobler breeds a white broad breasted hen what would the outcome be like what would it be

4. R2elk

Feb 24, 2013
    Natrona County, Wyoming
    Color would depend on which heritage variety did the breeding. In my case, crossing a BBW hen with a Bourbon Red tom produced a Red Bronze that in body size and shape was only slightly smaller than a BB.

5. pittmanbirds

Oct 28, 2016
    Pennsylvania
    So what would the color be if it was a eastern wild jake/gobbler

6. R2elk

Feb 24, 2013
    Natrona County, Wyoming
    You can check out all the different color probabilities by using the Turkey Color Calculator at Porter's Rare Heritage Turkeys.

An Eastern Wild is a bronze turkey bb. A BBW is a white cc.

That cross will produce Bronze Semi-Color (split to white). There are no images available so I would expect the offspring to be very similar to a Bronze turkey. Of course this only holds true if neither parent has any hidden recessive genes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by