Have a question, please assist

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by YakLady, Dec 6, 2009.

1. YakLady

YakLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2009
    Detroit area
    I saw an ad on CL that a lady was giving away some ducks. I contacted her, and she's just too elderly to keep up with them anymore. So my hubby and I went out there yesterday and picked up 3 Pekin drakes, 2 females, and an Indian Runner drake. The Pekin drakes will go to the processor this week, and the females will be kept for egg laying. I had noticed that one of the females had a very pale beak. Does this mean anything? This evening we noticed some blood on her wing. When I picked her up to check it out, I could see that there was a lot of old, dried blood under her wing. I'll have to take a closer look tomorrow. I don't know much about ducks. I just obtained my first handful a month or so ago (a Pekin female and some Cayuga's). Is there some kind of medication that I should give her, like an antibiotic?

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    she probably just got in a fight with one of the other ducks... some pekins do get the light pale colored beak, so that is normal.. I'd keep an eye on them for fighting and clean her wounds the best you can. If they look infected at all,(puss or redness) she may need antibiotics or a trip to the vet. if you could post pictures, that would help a lot.

3. YakLady

Jul 8, 2009
    Detroit area
    Thanks. I loved your video clip of Victor eating the fish! I didn't know that ducks eat fish. What a great treat idea!

4. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    thank, you can put fish in a kiddie pool too. We also are posting a video of them eating fish in the tub later today...

How is your new ducky doing?

5. YakLady

Jul 8, 2009
    Detroit area
    She's fine. There are two new females, plus my little Daisy. Daisy always lays an egg in the duck house for me. This morning, I got a Daisy egg and there was another one outside the duckhouse in the run. Yay! Love those eggs. Had to be one of the two new girls, because my Cayuga girls won't lay until Spring (so I was told). There wasn't any more fresh blood on her today. When I rounded them up to get them into the pen, she got a little flustered. She flew up a little bit into the run. I didn't want to upset her further, so I left her alone. I want to give her a few days to get used to me before I give her a thorough exam. She's obviously in no serious danger, and the look that I did get showed me that this is not a new injury. It didn't look at all infected....just a lot of scabbing and dried blood. The lady who I got these ducks from told me that she had some Indian Runner females that were killed by the neighbor's dog. I ended up with the only Indian Runner drake she had left. I think the dog was another reason she was getting rid of them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by