Have a question regarding eggs under a broodie.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Jferlisi, Jul 28, 2011.

1. Jferlisi

Jferlisi i dont eat chicken!!!!

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    So i have two eggs under my silkie. At day 5 there was development. Its now day 8 and yesterday i forgot to close my brooder and i caught me broodie out off the nest doing her stuff but i dont know how long she was off for. If i let her out she doesn't go back in until i make her go in but she will sit there while the coop is closed. The eggs where kinda cool but not completely. When i candled them just now half of the egg inside is black on both. Are the eggs bad or what? Also should i not let her out of the brooder since she has food and water in there? Its a 4 x 2 coop.

2. mustangsaguaro

mustangsaguaro Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    San Martin, Ca
    I currently have a silkie/ameraucana cross hen that is broody. My chickens free range. She is sitting in one of the nests where my chickens usually lay eggs. I have the door open so she can go out. She will usually get off the nest at least once a day for about 30min or so to eat, drink and dust bathe then she will go back on the nest. Hopefully that helps w/ your question.

3. Jferlisi

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    Do i need to restart if the eggs are half black? mine wont leave if the door is closed or get up at all.

4. Jferlisi

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
  5. Jferlisi

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    Any one?

6. djennings

djennings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2011
    Sabine Pass, TX.
    The eggs should be fine, I have a silkie laying on eggs also. I would put her in a different spot. Then when you can be out there with here take her off and let her eat, drink, dust bath and then put her back on nest.

7. Jferlisi

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    Quote:Ok so i dont have to worry if they look like they are a week ahead already?

8. Tropical Chickies

Tropical Chickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    Central Florida
    Your eggs are developing! Half black is good, that is the chicken inside growing. My Silkie broodies were once off the nest for two days and the eggs still hatched and on time. Don't worry about her leaving the nest, just try and make sure her food/water is within reach. I don't recommend her staying off the nest for too long, even though my hatch still happened. Good luck!

9. Jferlisi

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    Quote:Ok thanks for the help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by