have a question

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by sager:)silkies, Dec 21, 2011.

1. sager:)silkies

sager:)silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2011
    Canada
    is it possible to get splash silkies by breeding partridge male with a white hen.

2. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    sager:)silkies :

is it possible to get splash silkies by breeding partridge male with a white hen.

Nope, you have to breed it from birds that already have blue or splash.​

3. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    x2

Splash is a bird with 2 copies of the blue gene. Blue is an incomplete dominant where a bird with only one is blue, and if it has two, it's a splash.

4. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    The white could supply one copy, but there is no way to determine that any given white has (or doesn't have) blue in its genetic makeup. The only way to know would be if one parent was splash, if blue offspring came from a breeding to black, or splash offspring from a breeding to blue.

However, the partidge would have to be a blue partridge to provide a copy of blue, and in my experience, you can easily tell blue partridge from regular partridge.

5. sager:)silkies

sager:)silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2011
    Canada
    Quote:Ty i was just wondering cause i was gina buy splash off some one and they say they got it from a partridge and a white hen or vice versa

6. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    sager:)silkies :

Quote:Ty i was just wondering cause i was gina buy splash off some one and they say they got it from a partridge and a white hen or vice versa

If they got a color that looks similar to splash from that pairing, then it could mean that the silkie was carrying dominant white ( though I don't believe silkies are known to carry it). And if so, then that would have likely given a white chicken with a few black spots here and there that could be confused for splash.​

7. Ducks and Banny hens

Ducks and Banny hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2011
    On a little Farm.
    Maybe that guy meant Black Splash (not Bl/Bl)?

8. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:THere is no "black splash" nor is there "blue splash." It is simply "splash."

9. Ducks and Banny hens

Ducks and Banny hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2011
    On a little Farm.
    Quote:THere is no "black splash" nor is there "blue splash." It is simply "splash."

Not officialy. There is a Black Splash, and it occurs as a genetic mutation in black birds (so it could occur with Blue or true Splash). All it does, is remove the excessive eumelanin in a haphazardous pattern, making the birds look speckled (usually brown).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by