Have a rooster who can't use his wings, please help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LostGosling, Jul 23, 2011.

1. LostGosling

LostGosling Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2011
    My Banty Mix rooster started dragging his wings on the ground about a week ago, and he hasn't gotten any better. Now, when anybody pecks him, he flips over onto his back and can't get up. He can't even jump a foot off the ground to the lowest roosting perch anymore. [​IMG] I found him this evening (on his back), dusted him for lice, and put him in a crate for the night. Anybody know what might be wrong? Note: It's been really, REALLY, hot and humid here all summer. I thought that might help with the diagnosis.

2. Cockadoodledon't

Cockadoodledon't Chillin' With My Peeps

Could very easily be heat related.
    If cooling him down doesnt perk him up, something major is probably up.
    Do you see anything different with his behaviour???
    Is he eating and drinking??
    Some polyvisol drops in his water and maybe some gatorade may help.
    Move to a cooler environment and see if it helps.

3. LostGosling

Jul 11, 2011
    He's seems to be eating and drinking. He was roosting on one of top ground perches this evening, which is better than yesterday. Still dragging his wings around, though. What are polyvisol drops and where could I get some? I'll have to go get him a little bottle of Gatorade, too. I'm afraid to bring him in to the air conditioning, because he will get all cooled off and then it will be a thousand times hotter for him when he goes back outside. Do you think maybe submersing his body in a tub of cool water might accomplish the same thing?

4. Lacrystol

Lacrystol Hatching Helper

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    I would be scared that if you submerge him, he'll go into shock, try ice cubes in the water maybe even putting some Ice packs out with him, he could always get off it it that way wrap it in a towel or a bag or something. You can buy Polvisol at any store in the baby section or the vitamin section. Walmart carries it, it's vitamin's for infants. Maybe even putting a fan in front of him.

5. Lacrystol

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    That's a scarry thought him flipping on his back and not being able to get up..

6. LostGosling

Jul 11, 2011
    Yeah, my three ducks like to knock him over for entertainment. [​IMG] I'll have to try the ice cubes when he comes to the barn. He free ranges with my girls and his 3 brothers all day. Thank-you! I'll update every one on how he's doing later. Also, If anybody lives close to where I'm at and I can get him to recover from the heat, I'm trying to rehome him and several others to good homes where they will not be roasted, fryed, broiled, etc. If interested, I can post some pics [​IMG]

7. Lacrystol

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    It's been a couple of days, how's the rooster doing??? Did you ever get him any Polyvisol>

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by