Have a situation need advise

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chicks man chicks, Mar 30, 2009.

1. chicks man chicks

chicks man chicks Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2009
    Charlotte
    I currently have 3 JG 9wk old chickens that I bought as day olds As the weeks have past I have come to the realization that I have 2 roos and 1 hen. I have recently finished my chicken tractor which has a 4x4 coup portion and a 6x4 attached run. I really don't want to build another one right now so I have a few questions:

1. Will 2 roos live together in one chicken tractor? They already puff up and jump at each other.

2 I have 3 golden comet hens coming mid April that will be 18wks when I pick them up. Will I be able to keep them in the same tractor with 12 wk olds?

3 Should I get rid of the two roos and just have the 1 JG hen with 3 GC hens.

Thanks for any input this is my first flock and I am just trying to plan ahead to avoid problems

2. willowcol

willowcol Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Macclesfield NC
    I would get rid of 1 of the roo's and keep 1 if you want a roo. If you don't want the crowing get rid of both, I can't see them getting along to well in a tractor.

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    One will end up being dominant, but with only one hen, they keep fighting.

JG are supposed to be great meat birds but take some time to mature to processing weight.

4. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    1. If they are together from the start they should be OK, however your hen/hens may never have feathers on thier backs, with a 2to1 and later a 2 to 4 ratio. And if for any reason you should take one roo out long enough for the other to think it is sole roo, you will have a fight on your hands.

2. The JG's may be about the same size as the Comets, so they should be able to be housed together, but I would take it slow and make sure they are good before letting them on thier own.

3. That would depend if you want a roo. If you really want one, then by all means keep one. If you want to hatch eggs, then you need a roo, otherwise its just a personal preference as to keeping one or none.

5. Rusty Hills Farm

Rusty Hills Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    Up at the barn
    I'd rehome the GJs. These grow to be BIG birds who need space--4 sq ft inside the coop and 10 sq ft in the run are the figures usually quoted for most large fowl breeds. Your tractor at 4x4 is 16 sq ft and should comfortably house 4. Your run at 4x6 is only 24 sq ft, which would be comfortable for 2 or tight for 3. Crowding 6 in there could lead to picking issues or aggression especially with so many roos. I'd rehome the roos for sure.

JMO

Rusty

6. chicks man chicks

chicks man chicks Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2009
    Charlotte
    thanks for the advise just trying to avoid probelms

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by