have a sneeze or cough not sure whats wrong

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by 6chicks&aduck, Aug 13, 2011.

1. 6chicks&aduck

6chicks&aduck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2009
    S E North Dakota
    i have 10 chicks about 10 -14 weeks old , all robust ,beautiful feathering , healthy ,very active , no poop issues, eating great ,
    but there are a few that randomly make this sneeze , cough like sound , is it an illness or allergy to something ? any idea's

Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
  2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    6chicks&aduck :

i have 10 chicks about 10 -14 weeks old , all robust ,beautiful feathering , healthy ,very active , no poop issues, eating great ,
    but there are a few that randomly make this sneeze , cough like sound , is it an illness or allergy to something ? any idea's

From what you have posted sounds like they are healthy, I know dust from feed can cause mine to sometimes sound like your describing or possibly the bedding you should just keep an eye on them for any other symptoms. hopefully it's nothing.​

3. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    "End of the summer sickness" often rears its ugly head around this time of the year. The change in temperature and these cooler nights trigger disease that may otherwise lay dormant. Mycoplasma is very common and often strikes young birds. You can treat it and they will most likely all recover fine though they remain carriers and can pass it on to other birds... including indoor pet birds. Be safe just in case and be sure to wash your hands thoroughly before caring for your indoor birds.

eta: I saw "African" something in your signature and thought you had Parrots. I don't think anything would affect fish [​IMG] And, Speckledhen is probably right... not too much to worry about if they get better. Good Luck

Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
  4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

If they just sneeze occasionally, I wouldn't worry about it, in absence of other symptoms. Feed and dander dust, pollen, gasoline fumes, etc, can all cause sneezing. You can put a couple of teaspoons of unfiltered apple cider vinegar with "the mother" (sediment) in their quart waterer or you can fog the coop with Oxine solution, which kills all bacteria, viruses and fungus in the air.

5. 6chicks&aduck

Jul 23, 2009
    S E North Dakota
    THANK YOU ALL , where do i find more on the oxine fogging remedie and the apple cider vinger "mother " sediment

6. 6chicks&aduck

Jul 23, 2009
    S E North Dakota
    Quote:just viewed your byc page , beautiful birds !!! !Esp the milles, they are coming along beautifully !

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

6chicks&aduck :

THANK YOU ALL , where do i find more on the oxine fogging remedie and the apple cider vinger "mother " sediment

Revival Animal Health online has Oxine and the organic unfiltered ACV can usually be found at grocery or health food stores. I get mine at Ingles right with the rest of the vinegars.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by