Have a trapped bird but I can;t do anything feel awful.( UPdate)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by oesdog, Jul 31, 2010.

1. oesdog

oesdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    Today I went to the chicken run and Bertha was pacing beside the fence as she is seperated from her chicks now. She was outside and all the other girls had the sence to go in out of the rain so I chased her in with the others.

It was then that I heard it. Our flew for the pot belly stove runs up the side of the house basically through the chicken run ( great for the girls in the winter as it gives them some heat.) I heard the flapping. The distinctive sound of a despirate bird, Sure enought it was inside the flew. It runs about 20 feet up the wall and it is rivited at every section. DH tried to pull the bottom off but it wont budge and the clips to hold it to the wall are corroded closed so we can;t even down the chimeny! It is horrendous, I cannot imagine how the poor thing even got inside it as we have a cap on the top. I went inside and took out the throat plate but even though I shined a torch to the back were it bends to go up the outside of the house I can;t see anything. I can just hear its pittiful cry. DH ssid that if we pull the chimeny down it will be broken so that isn;t an option.

I am thinking the little thing must have been inside it a while all the time breathing in all that ash dust from the fire. Even if we did get it out it would probably have resbitary issues and die anyway. Maybe its even got stuuck halfway up on a ledge or gotten wings broken or feet caught??????? These things are going through my mind. DH said just to leave the throat plate off and hope it decides to come down and out into the house.

Now all I can hear is flutters and cries and there is nothing I can do - what a horrible death for the little thing. I kind of think of those kids that get stuck in Wells. - Its horrible to think it all alone and slowly dying like that. I wish I could do something but I can;t. DH isn;t well with a bad heart so he isn;t really well enough to be pulling up chimeny stacks and one wild bird isn;t financially worth tearing your house apart over.

But I feel real bad and I wish I could do something. I mean its not even a chicken!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If it was one of my chickens I would be distraught!

Oesdog - [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 7, 2010
  2. willheveland

willheveland Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2008
    southern tier,NY
    It seems like if it got in , it could get out. If they see light by an opening they will head for it. Will

3. oesdog

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    Thanks for that at least I could tell someone!

Oesdog - [​IMG]

4. SpeckledHills

SpeckledHills Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Idaho/Utah
    You have a loving heart. I'm sorry the bird's distress and for your sadness. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Damummis

Damummis Chickenista

Apr 29, 2009
    Mid-Coast
    I so feel your pain.

I was at the local nursery when I notice a hummingbird caught in a greenhouse. I tried my hardest to get it out. It was just too much for the little guy. It died. I felt so bad.

[​IMG]

6. oesdog

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    I think the hardest is that I feel so powerless to actually do anything to save it at all.
    I think also others say "oh well look at the hundreds of others out there in the gardens" Like I am crazy in the head! - Yeah I know but they are not suffering and that one is and its in my flew and it is stuck and will die, because I have put my flew where it can get in!

You guys have been good and thanks for the hugs. Fact that I can hear it dying in the house is just awful! Wish it was over but it could be there for days couldn't it? Then when we do light the fire for winter - I probably will get slow smoked mistle thrush! I am soooooo sad! - [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Oesdog - [​IMG]

7. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Can you leave a light shining up the chimeny... hopefully it will have enough light to go towards it?

Also... make sure you clean your chimeny before your first fall fire! ! !

8. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

[​IMG] Like you, I hate the thought of any animal suffering... Maybe it will find it's way out??? [​IMG]

9. heatherindeskies

heatherindeskies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2010
    SE Minnesota
    mmaddie's mom is right... leave a light there and hope for the best.
    I had to kill an injured sparrow under our concrete stairs one time... nobody was gonna pay to have it moved to get to the little guy, and his legs were out behind him (I saw this before it ran under there) so he couldn't hop around at all, only 'propel' himself and couldn't climb or fly up as needed...after a few hours of watching him fail i ended up getting a stick in there... it bothers me to this day.
    [​IMG]

10. heatherindeskies

heatherindeskies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2010
    SE Minnesota
    OK, radical, but got a long hose on a shop vac to suck him out with? it's better than hearing him die slowly, and there is a chance he might be OK, maybe... if he can survive the ride. I don't know, just throwing out weird ideas here

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by