Have an ice cream recipe that requests egg yolks (not cooked) ....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bayareapilot, Jan 28, 2013.

1. bayareapilot

bayareapilot Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2010
    San Francisco
    Have an ice cream recipe that requests eggs not cooked. I kind of 'chickened-out' and bought a store bought container of liqufied pasteurized eggs. Any of you out there used your hens eggs in a 'raw' recipe like this one?

Part of me is figuring that my hens (who are very well cared for and have a lot of clean open space) are raised under infinitely more sanitary conditions that the average commercial facility; so in reality, the eggs should be okay to use in a recipe like the one I just mentioned you think???

2. breezy

breezy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2009
    Sand Coulee MT
    I think that if it makes you nervous you shouldn't do it ...but, having said that, I can honestly tell you that I don't hesitate to eat my own eggs raw. I make an eggnog shake kind of thing for breakfast 3 or 4 days a week and include 1 or 2 of my own backyard laid raw eggs in it and have never had an issue. Just my .02 cents

3. bayareapilot

bayareapilot Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2010
    San Francisco
    Many thanks! No, it didn't make me nervous, but I didn't know. Come to think of it when I was younger I made protein shakes with raw eggs and now I'm over 50, so it must have worked out okay and those were commercially raised eggs.

Okay! I know what I will do next time! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by