Have any dog owners experienced this?...very worried

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by EllyMae, Aug 3, 2008.

1. EllyMae

EllyMae Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a Dane/Lab mix(we call him the Dane-ador) and last night when we put him up for the night, he was fine. This morning we go to let him out and his right eye is cloudy. Looks like a cataract like in a human but how could that happen overnight so sudden? We are taking him to the vet in the morning but I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas as to what else it might be. We are kinda worried. His name is Toby, by the way.

2. Nuggetsowner:)

Nuggetsowner:) Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2007
    Minnesota
    I am not exactly sure what would cause the eye to go cloudy. My lab is alergic to nuts and her eyes swell shut if she gets into something she is not supposed to. Is your dogs eye swollen or just cloudy??

3. EllyMae

It's just cloudy. No swelling. He's not even pawing at it or anything. He doesn't want me to look at it but he's always been goofy when it comes to examining anything on his body. I just think it's weird that it happened so sudden.

4. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    I have a poodle that LOVES to play fetch and last month he ran into a dry stalk of grass and scraped his eye and it turned cloudy overnight. I took him in to the vet and he gave me some antibiotics, (Biomox) pills and some eye ointment and he is almost a hundred percent better now. There is still a hint of it came back after I stopped his antibiotics so they gave me some more and it is almost gone again.

5. whitecra

whitecra Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Oklahoma
    My boston terriers eye did this and when I took her to the vet she had a scratch on it. IT did bother her though.
    Chris

6. EllyMae

Thanks so much for the input. I was kind of thinking maybe it was due to some type of injury/irritation since it came on so sudden but then my mind started thinking of all the worse case scenarios, etc. I will update tomorrow after our trip to the vet. Goodnight all!

7. AngelzFyre

AngelzFyre Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2007
    Pell City, Alabama
    Sounds like he either hit the eye or scraped the cornea. Either of those can cause cloudiness.
    The vet should do a stain on the eye by using a fluorostain-strip and saline. This will show an injury to the cornea if there is one, and then they will give you antibiotic ophthalmic ointment if it's needed and/or antibiotics for him.
    Keep us posted on how Toby does please! Good luck!

8. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    My Chihuahua Angel got scratched in the eye by a cat and it was cloudy until it healed, then it was fine. It took a couple of months to go away, but her vision wasn't damaged at all.

9. EllyMae

Just an update, Toby DID indeed have an eye injury. Thanks so much for the fast responses last night. I was able to rest a little more easy after hearing the answers from everyone. BYC is the best!

10. AngelzFyre

AngelzFyre Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2007
    Pell City, Alabama
    Glad to hear he'll be okay and you got to it so quickly! Keep us posted on his recovery.
    Hugs to you both!
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by