Have any of you folks had mono? (Update - it isn't mono!!)

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by itsy, Nov 29, 2011.

1. itsy

itsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    I'm really at my wits end.

I don't know how a 30 year old gets mono. I really don't.

I think I'm dying. [​IMG]

I have no idea how I would have gotten "the kissing disease." but I went to the dr. today and he thinks it's what I have. I thought it was strep, but the strep test is negative. He said if it continues for ANOTHER WEEK, to come back and get tested - but I honestly don't think I'm going to make it that long.

Our new neighbor made us homemade chocolates and soup when we moved in here - and she believed she had mono during that time. No - my boyfriend wouldn't have been kissing her - we've been attached at the hip for the past month. And if it wasn't her, I was talking to a nice old lady at the supermarket about her cat....when all of a sudden she launched a spit glob onto my lip just at the same time that I was licking it! [​IMG]

My throat is on fire and I want to rip it out of my neck. When I swallow, it feels like there are marbles covered in crushed glass in my throat. This is worse than when I had my tonsils removed in my mid 20's. I've had fevers for the past three days - topping off at 101.5. I can't sleep properly....I can't function. I'm exhausted and I've barely eaten anything.

If anyone has any advice.... please let me know!! I want to go back to the Dr. tomorrow to be tested, but I'll have to wait another day due to scheduling with the dbf's work. I don't trust my ability to drive myself at the moment. It came on so suddenly on Sunday - I've never had something like this.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2011
  2. anderson8505

anderson8505 Peace, Love & Happy Chickens

I wonder why he couldnt test u right then for mono? It is a fast and simple blood test! Your throat symptoms arent like any my daughter or i got with mono. It is a virus you could have picked it up anywhere. It is incorrectly nicknamed "the kissing disease". It can pass quickly or take months to recover. Get th test. Do research on the disease. Not a big deal except it usually makes you tired. I dunno what your insurance situation is, but I would call a walkin clinic or lab and have the testdone. Try to relax, if it is mono you're not going to die. Drink fluids! Rest when you can. Gatorade powerade type drinks could help.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2011
  3. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Hope you feel better [​IMG]

4. bluesub

bluesub Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    Did they do a rapid strep test on you? A throat culture is more accurate than the rapid test (it takes longer). Good luck.

5. zooarch

zooarch Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2010
    I have had mono. I had strep throat and mono at the same time. Thanks mono for the kick to my immune system's teeth. I was laid out for a month, it was two months before I could work. I had acute hepatitis due to the mono. This caused my recovery to take forever.

Here is my advice: Go in and get tested. The mono test can come back as a false negative or a false positive. Mono sucks.

You can get mono from someone who had it in the past and who happens to be shedding the virus. Again, mono sucks.

DO NOT OVER EXERT YOURSELF. The biggest problem with mono, whether dealing with it or recovering, is that you get impatient and try to over do. This just causes things to get worse and to take longer to recover. See the fact that mono sucks.

It took me a year to fully recover due to the hepatitis. I was an uncommon case. There are some people that have it for a week. There are some that have it for a month. There are some people that have it and never realize it. In conclusion, mono sucks.

6. stilldeb

stilldeb Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    NW Kentucky
    I would find a way to get back to the doctor. Mono can have some serious complications if it is bad enough, including enlargement/rupture of the spleen, hepatitis or airway obstruction/abscess. It affects different people differently. My husband had it years ago and was very sick with it.

Hope you can find out what's going on and feel better soon...

7. itsy

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    I love you all for trying to make me feel better!

My boyfriend has had mono, but the doctor was telling us that there are many mono strains and he likely didn't give it to me, but that he could get it from me again. He basically said there was no point in testing for it because there was really nothing that could be done for it anyway. I did some research online and some people are prescribed steroids (for the swelling) and pain killers for the throat problems. Shoot, I would have liked both!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not a happy camper. I wish they wouldn't call it "the kissing disease" because it makes me feel uncomfortable telling people I may have it!....well not too uncomfortable that I wouldn't ask the general public on BYC. lol. But I'm barely sane at the moment and it hurts!!!!

Edited to add : They did a rapid strep test and then a culture. The culture will come back tomorrow, but the doctor said he's leaning towards mono.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2011
  8. zooarch

zooarch Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2010
    Quote:Don't be embarrassed by mono. [​IMG] If nothing else then it is a really good excuse to sit around, eat ice cream, and watch tv. I'm a true believer in the power of blue powerade to heal. I would have sworn that it made me feel better when I had the mono. I just get cranky remembering the ol' mono days. Besides, you could either not have it or be one of the lucky ones that gets better in a week and can then lord it over all other mono sufferers.

9. Carolyn

Carolyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    I had mono when I was 60. I have had some serious illnesses in my life but nothing ever made me feel so bad for so long. The main treatment is rest, fluids, and treat the symptoms. I was sick for over 3 months. People's symptoms vary, the severity of the illness varies and most times you don't figure out how you got it. It certainly is not just a kissing disease.
    It is not a good idea to take steroids when you have an infection unless it is pretty much life threatening. Dx it early does not change the treatment.

My personal and professional advice ( I am a nurse) is get plenty of rest, try to drink plenty of healty liquids, eat healthy and expect it to take some time to run it's course. You might want to look into getting some supplements or eating specific foods that support immunity. Treat the symptoms such as salt water gargles for the throat, over the counter meds for fever and aching. See the doctor if symptoms get worse (or when your employer demands a note if you are employed). Basically don't make yourself do anything, even get up in the mornings if you just don't have the energy to do it.

My symptoms began suddenly and I missed a couple of days work, told myself it was a bug and went back to work 1 day to finish out the week as scheduled. (I worked 3 12 hr shifts a week). When I got there the boss had added another shift the next day (her way of punishing people who missed work). I made myself go to work that next day and ended up begging everyone I could think of to come work for me so I could go home but it was Sat and I had to finish that shift. I thought I would die and didn't really care if I did. By the grace of God I made it home but was not able to work again for nearly 3 months. After I was off another week the boss called me one rainy morning and insisted I come in to be examined by the employee health nurse. She felt like I should be able to work if my temp was less than 101. My hubby was gone and I had no choice but to drive the 30 mile trip to work. That little backset gave me the relapse that lasted for weeks.

I tell you that not to gain sympathy but to stess how important it is that you rest and not push yourself at all. People can end up with chronic fatigue syndrome after mono so it is important to take care of yourself and hope and pray you recover soon. Anything less than a month is unlikely though.

10. itsy

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    Thanks so much for your reply, Carolyn.

Why do you think the doctor wouldn't want to do the test asap? He said that if it wasn't gone in a week that we should just assume it's mono, but I don't like to assume anything. I want to know answers! Both fortunately and unfortunately, I'm unemployed at the moment. I don't have health insurance, so perhaps this is why the doctor didn't encourage the test?

I don't know how I'm going to stand the throat pain for very long. I've been crying tonight and my fever is back up over 100. I just took some Nyquil and have been drinking, even though it's incredibly painful.

I'm sorry your employer was such a jerk to you. You'd think that someone in the medical field would have much more compassion for your situation!!! Have you had any sort of relapses or has it been any burden since?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by