1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Have any of you heard about this story

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by tgblldog70, Jan 24, 2012.

1. tgblldog70

tgblldog70 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I found this story on my phone news page and thought I'd share it. Its crazy how agressive the hawks are being this year. We have a hawk that has given us nightly visits to see if we have let the chickens out of their caged pen yet, I hope he loses interest soon.

A red-tailed hawk has reportedly stalked the grounds of a Connecticut high school, attacking at least one student who escaped serious injury.
    The Connecticut Post reports that the hawk has been flying near Fairfield Ludlowe High School for the past several weeks. An administrator at the school contacted police on Thursday after she saw the hawk swoop down and graze the head of a female student, who fled the area.
    Deputy Police Chief Chris Lyddy said a tree where the hawk was believed to be nesting was checked, but nothing was found.
    "There was also a rumor that the nest was in the school courtyard," Lyddy told the newspaper.
    Although authorities have yet to spot the hawk, they don't doubt its existence, Lyddy said.
    "This is not an unknown phenomenon," he said of the hawk's aggressiveness, noting that one reason the animal might attack people is to protect its nest.
    A neighborhood in Stonington, Ct., was under siege by an aggressive red-tailed hawk in March 2010, prompting school officials to hold recess indoor, according to published reports cited by the newspaper.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/01/24/red-tailed-hawk-reportedly-stalking-grounds-connecticut-high-school/#ixzz1kQsR67lK

2. Kara515

Kara515 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2011
    Southeast Missouri
    I had not heard that and that is pretty scary! We have a bunch of red-tailed hawks around here! I hope the one around your place moves on!!

3. confusedbanti

confusedbanti Out Of The Brooder

Nov 5, 2010
    somerset,CA
    That school yard story is wild ! [​IMG]
    Nope that Hawk of yours won't lose interest any time soon. What else does he have to do ? Watch Oprah ? [​IMG]
    He will just chill and wait and wait . [​IMG] Ours did for MONTHS .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by