have any of you heard of the slow food movement?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by deb1, Aug 14, 2008.

1. deb1

deb1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2008
    NC
    Here is a link: http://www.slowfood.com/

From
    what I understand it means buying food locally grown from small farmers. I am easying into this idea by buying some of my produce from local growers, but I don't yet have the income to buy meat this way.

Have any of you heard of this movement?

2. BearSwampChick

BearSwampChick Chicken Sensei

Jan 10, 2008
    Marysville, OH
    Yes, I've read about it. Some people also refer to it as being a 'locavore', as in local eater. It's definitely a growing movement.

3. chiknlady

chiknlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
    SE PA
    I had heard that it was part of a movement used to stew, boil or use solar ovens to cook--Like in prior generations everything took time to prepare--i.e. whole grains vs fast food. Lentils, beans, whole grain homemade breads etc

4. deb1

Jun 26, 2008
    NC
    Quote:I am just beginning to hear about it. Really, I am beginning to feel like a rebel as I experiement with homemade bread and other foods.

It is not my imagination that the peaches that my local produce stand sells are more juicy then Walmart's peaches. The problem is that local is a bit more expensive, so I am only gradually able to buy from such stands.

5. BearSwampChick

BearSwampChick Chicken Sensei

Jan 10, 2008
    Marysville, OH
    The reason the local produce is juicier, tastier, etc. is because it is allowed to come to almost full ripeness or readiness before being picked to sell. Whereas, walmart ships it in from who-knows-where when it's practically green so as not to spoil or bruise before being displayed in the store. Even if you can only buy local produce once in a while, it is better than not at all. And you help local farmers stay in business. [​IMG] The more things we do for ourselves (baking our own bread, etc.) the better off we will be.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2008
  6. ronniega1

ronniega1 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2008
    vidalia ga
    i wish we had local food markets here in vidalia ga. i am from ny and you could always go to a local market taste pick and buy miss that sooooo much....ronnie:aww:yiipchick:plbb

7. seismic wonder2

seismic wonder2 I got mad ninja skills

Feb 3, 2007
    san diego ca
    One aspect of "Slow Food" Is what I do. I'm a Personal Chef. I provide home cooked meals for people who can't, won't, or just don't have time to cook a nice healthy home cooked meal. They are tired (and usually sick) from eating take out and highluy processed "meals in a box" filled with chemicals and sodium.
    I make the meal plan, I do all the shopping, bring the food to THEIR kitchen and cook a weeks worth of meals (mostly dinners), cool it, and store it either in the freezer of fridge. Then they can have dinner when ever they are ready for it.
    Most people I cook for are busy two income households with children and they don't want their kids to "glow in the dark" or end up with ADDHDDHAD from the chemicals and preservatives that are in processed foods.

They like that I buy local food, and I TRY to buy all organic if possible.
    I'm also a Nutritional Consultant so if they need to loose weight, have allerg, or ar on a diet perscribed by a Dr. I can help them out.

SLOW FOOD RULES!!!

8. Weasleymum

Weasleymum Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2008
    Virginia
    Yeah it's been around for awhile now. If you're interested in reading about the slow foods/ local foods movement, Barbara Kingsolver's Animal, Vegetable, Miracle is a good read. A lot of it is about keeping chickens. [​IMG]

9. deb1

Jun 26, 2008
    NC
    Quote:Thank you. I have heard about the book but I haven't read it yet. Maybe my library has it.

10. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    Hey deb1 [​IMG]

Our family has been moving this way for the past 6 months, and we absolutely LOVE IT! I know we will never go back to living any other way. We made a promise to ourselves this summer that we would grow most of our own food, including the meat, or we would buy it from local farmers. So far so good! We put about 16 homegrown chickens in the freezer, we have 2 turkeys still maturing, we bought a whole hog from a neighbor, we forage for seasonal wild foods, and this spring we planted over 120 different fruits and veggies. We make our own bread (even grind the wheat), pizza, cheese, pickles, dried fruits and veggies, canned goods, frozen berries, pesto, etc etc etc.

I have a website if you want to read more. Just click on the link under my picture on the left here.

Be sure to read the Kingsolver book. It will cement your slow food decisions. It did ours.

Yeah for new locavores! [​IMG]

Edited to add: we trade eggs for Fair Trade coffee, the forbidden drink! [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 14, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by