Have any of you tried to breed barred rock hens with dark cornish roosters.

GONE CHICKEN

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 13, 2013
I tried the whole Cornish rock x thing and I don't care for it, I ordered barred rocks and dark Cornish to breed. I also have some new Hampshire reds that I here make a good meat bird when mixed with barred rocks. have any of you had good results with raising meat birds? I do not have to get a giant ball of meat after 8 weeks, but a good size chicken at 12-14 wks would be fine.

brahmabreeder

Songster
7 Years
Feb 22, 2012
Northeast Ohio
Hatcheries breed for egg production which means their birds are smaller. If you wan to produce nice heritage meat birds then go to a breeder to get them. The difference will be like night an day.

Last edited:

brahmabreeder

Songster
7 Years
Feb 22, 2012
Northeast Ohio
For Cornish and barred Plymouth rocks I don't know of any one who has them. I do know breeders who have buckeyes, jersey giants, and Wyandottes. I have brahmas and will be adding ameraucana chicks soon. I know a breeder in PA who is about an hour and a half from here who has tons of breeds. I know he has buff orpingtons, dark and buff brahma ( LF ), bantam dark brahmas, bantam new hampshires. He has a few more but I can't remember them because he had so many. If I were you I would go on either the Cornish or Plymouth rock thread and see if any breeders have eggs/ birds they would be willing to sell. You could also put a wanted add here to ask for specific breeds.

Top Bottom