have button quail in an avairy

Discussion in 'Quail' started by gaza, Aug 12, 2010.

1. gaza

gaza Out Of The Brooder

Jul 30, 2010
    hi group,i have an avairy,with many finches,parrakeets,parrots etc.
    every time the quail hatch,it takes 2-3 days before they die.
    is this due to the mother not knowing how to take care of them?,or something else?
    hae tried to catch several babies,and put them on heat,but seems to make no difference?
    gary

2. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    How many buttons do you have in the aviary? Button quail are monogamous and work best in pairs in order not to cause bloodshed.

I would catch any baby buttons you see and stick them in a brooder asap.
    The brooder can be a fish tank and you can use a non-stick shelf liner for the bottom.

Are you feeding the buttons Gamebird crumbles? If so, grind them up further and provide them as a mash to the babies.

Lighting:
    You will need to provide you babies with heat (95 degrees to 100 degrees F)
    Pet stores supply heat lamps for reptiles
    Decrease the temp by 5 degrees each week by changing the height of the heat lamp.

I suspect the parents are not taking good care of the babies. They act like mini adults when hatch. They need heat, feed, and water (shallow bowl and put marbles in it) to start a great life.

3. 95yj

95yj Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2009
    Central Vermont
    I'm assuming that the mother is hatching them, which is cool cause alot of quail (not specificaly sure of buttons) almost never go broody. However like alot of domesticated birds thee mother probably doesn't have any idea of what to do with the babies after she hatches them, they should probably be removed and placed in a brooder.

4. gaza

gaza Out Of The Brooder

Jul 30, 2010
    thanks for the replies.
    i thought that the chicks would be better of with thier mother!,i guess this is not the case.
    i have 2 pairs,which get on fine,and both pairs have produced chicks.
    the one pair actually raised 3 chicks,so thought that was the norm!!
    but after seeing posts,and raising 8 peachicks,see that is not the case.
    i got 8 peachicks by mail,and had them in a cage with a heat lamp,and even when temps dropped below 80,they shivered!!.
    so i guess the quail,outdoors,with no mothers warmth,did not stand a chance!
    obviosly,being so small,i could not see that they were shivering!!
    gary

5. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    That could be it. They are very tiny little cuties. I would try to catch the babies asap and stick them in a brooder so they don't get cold. Two pairs in an aviary is fine. I was worried you were having more than that since they are monogamous and other pairs can attack a pair's offspring. But since that part is cleared away, they were probably chilled.

6. jrholdener

jrholdener New Egg

Aug 15, 2010
    Does anyone know the size of an opening button quail can fit though? I bought a pair this morning, thought my aviary was secure and now can't find them. I do have green ferns on the perimeter.

7. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    I know that hardware cloth works for them because my cages are made from it. People have a mesh around hardware cloth here in Florida (well the ones I have sold buttons too). They are tiny birds. I would say they could squeeze through a hole from those dog kennel fencing if that makes sense. I hope you find them!

Also watch out for predators...quails are a delicacy for rat snakes...under my experience that is.

8. jrholdener

jrholdener New Egg

Aug 15, 2010
    Thank you for responding, I'm really hoping they are hiding in the ferns. I have slat with chicken wire covering it? I hope it isn't too big. Stress. : (

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by