have chickens in Lawrenceville,GA

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances' started by khachdatinh, Jan 11, 2013.

  1. khachdatinh

    khachdatinh New Egg

    Sep 30, 2010
    I have 3 Acres of land in Lawrenceville,GA. I wonder if its legal for me to keep chickens here. Thanks.
  2. Coralee

    Coralee Chillin' With My Peeps

    Nov 23, 2012
    Woodbine Georgia
    Are you inside any city or township limits? Most cities have ordinances regarding livestock, which includes chickens. If you are out in the county, then you need to check county ordinances. Your county should have its own website, with links to its ordinances. I'd check the web first, and go from there.
  3. khachdatinh

    khachdatinh New Egg

    Sep 30, 2010
    I'm outside city limit but zone residental. I looked up gwinnett county laws but i'm confused: Livestock & Pets:
    The raising and keeping of livestock is not allowed in most residential zoning districts in Gwinnett County.
    The Zoning Resolution defines livestock to include: cattle, goats, sheep, swine, chickens, ducks and geese.
    However, this definition does not include purebred Vietnamese pot-bellied pigs, rabbits, domestic cats, domestic dogs, or other household pets normally kept indoors.
    Exceptions are as follows:
    ● Property zoned RA-200 (Residential-Agricultural)
    ● Property at least 3 acres or greater in size
    ● Animal quarters must be located at least 100 feet from all property lines

    so do I have to meet up with all 3 criterias above? or I can have livestock as long as I'm in RA-200 or at least 3 acres or animal quarters 100 feet away from all property lines.
  4. TheGeekySheep

    TheGeekySheep Chillin' With My Peeps

    Jun 27, 2012
    Yeah that is not written well, is it?

    I would hazard to guess if you have three acres you are already zoned RA-200 (Residential Agricultural). Check on this map to make sure, you can search for your address by using the Search menu in the upper left-hand corner (you have to check the "Zoning" option under Map Content menu and zoom in quite a bit for the zoning to show up):


    If you are zoned RA-200, then you still need to have the coop 100 feet from all property lines, because it says this in the ordinance for RA-200:

    "Customary Agricultural Uses including forestry, commercial greenhouses, plant nurseries and the raising and keeping of livestock, provided that no animal quarters are located closer than 100 feet to any property line."


    Hopefully 100 feet around shouldn't be too difficult to manage with 3 acres, and may not even be an issue so long as your neighbors don't have a problem with it being closer to the property line.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by