have chicks that are 7-8 weeks old and another one thats 10-11 weeks old i think two may be roosters

frany76

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 19, 2014

^^this two are the younger ones, see how much bigger the one is and he came at me when i went in there this morning.
this is a leghorn. not sure about this one??? anyone have a clue?????

BantamLover21

Crowing
6 Years
Jul 24, 2013
Your Leghorn is a pullet for sure. The others look like pullets to me, too, but side-profile photos of them would help sex them better.

frany76

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 19, 2014

I didn't know side photos make it easier to sex them, this is the closest i got of side pics of the RIRs... ooo and so its normal for a leghorn to such a pronounced comb and the red things that hangs from the beak/neck at only ten weeks??? thanks for help

Last edited:

fluffpuffgerbil

Chirping
6 Years
Jun 10, 2013
Battle Ground, SW Washington
If the RIRs are 8 weeks, then they're pullets. The males are pretty obvious at 4-6 weeks give or take.

And the leghorns are a Mediterranean breed and I've been told they get combs and wattles quicker than others. I have a ten week old ancona(sort of like a leghorn, but a bit different, still Mediterranean) and she's got the biggest comb and wattles second only to my cockerel, but she's a pullet. So I'm going with all the chickens you've posted pictures of being girls. I don't see any of yours being roos.

frany76

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 19, 2014
thank you so much. im glad to hear there are no roosters. we have chickens for eggs and for something to enjoy outside. and the way my coupe is i would have never been able to clean it or get eggs with a rooster n there. last rooster we had was very mean.

Top Bottom