1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Have couple questions about chicks:)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by alex, Jul 2, 2007.

1. alex

alex Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    How long do chicks need to have a heating lamp over there heads?

What age do they stop needing the heating lamp?

How many watts should the heating lamp need to be to comfort the chicks?

P.S- I'm getting 2-3 silkies and just needed info befor i get them. . .thanks

-alex

2. Queen of the Lilliputians

Queen of the Lilliputians Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2007
    Maine
    Ok, I think everyone does this differently, but here's how I did it:

How long do chicks need to have a heating lamp over there heads?

until they are fully feathered out. They have a hard time regulating their temps before that time.

What age do they stop needing the heating lamp?

Some of this, imho, has to do with the outdoor temps. My guys stopped being quite so dependent on it at 5wks.

How many watts should the heating lamp need to be to comfort the chicks?

The brooder box I kept my chicks in was about 2.5 - 3 ft tall, so the light was fairly low. I didn't even use a heat bulb at all, just a regular light bulb. When they were in the house, in a very small brooder (first week), with house temps between 75-80, I kept a 40 watt light bulb over them. When I moved them out to the garage, I switched to a 75 watt, and paid close attention to their body language. Crowding under it meant they were too cold, spread far away meant they were too warm. When everyone was more or less spread both under and around the light, I knew I was golden.

It seems more complicated than it is. Just watch your chicks. They'll huddle under the lamp, and peep loudly if they are too cold. Every week raise the lamp a bit (start temps between 90-95 first week, lower by approx 5 degrees each week after that) until they are the current temp outside (or around 70-75 degrees).

Good luck with your new babies!!

-Meghan​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by