Have I become an egg snob?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CIgal, Jan 4, 2011.

1. CIgal

CIgal Out Of The Brooder

Aug 8, 2010
    NW Washington
    My small flock of hens have started laying just over the past few weeks. Today was the first day I got two [​IMG]
    For breakfast I cooked up all the little eggs I had from my girls... made for a small but tasty brunch. For dinner I decided to saute some veggies and added some store bought eggs to it to make a scramble.
    I did have one fresh egg and I cracked that one open first. Then I moved on the the store bought eggs. I cracked one open and was disgusted at the sight... the yoke & white were nearly the same yucky color. Eww Eww EWW! [​IMG]
    I never before knew there was such a difference in fresh home grown vs "fresh" store bought eggs. Did you all get a grossed out feeling the first time using store eggs after your hens started laying? Am I just a snob? [​IMG]

2. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Yup you are--it happens to most of us and we never wanna go back.[​IMG]

3. TGreenhut

TGreenhut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2010
    Northern, CA
    Hahaha I'm the same way about store bought eggs![​IMG] [​IMG]

4. NoseyChickens

NoseyChickens Feathers On The Ground

Aug 3, 2009
    Southern California
    I'd rather go without than buy store bought [​IMG]

5. journey11

journey11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2009
    WV
    Big difference, that's for sure. I'd rather do without eggs than eat a store-bought egg nowadays. Given that fresh homegrown eggs keep longer (if not washed), I usually hoard up enough to get me through until they come off the molt and start laying again. [​IMG]

6. MissJenny

MissJenny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    The longer I have chickens the greater my resolve to never again eat a store-bought egg. Not so much for the superior flavor and quality, but because I can not bring myself to help support the nasty conditions in which battery hens are kept.I'd walk a mile for a "real" chicken egg. ♥

Jenny

7. Vanderfelt

Vanderfelt Out Of The Brooder

Jul 12, 2009
    Cromwell -ish, Indiana.
    I can't even go out to breakfast anymore! I am at the point store bought eggs gross me out! My chickens have spoiled me!

8. nanawendy

nanawendy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Bellingham Wa
    Yepppp All of the above X9822614... Is this a bad thing?????

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by