Have i been had? I think i got the wrong color eggs..

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jwatts, Mar 11, 2013.

1. jwatts

jwatts Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    I just recently ordered a dozen Americana hatching eggs from someone on eBay. The post said they will ship on mon or tues so the eggs don't sit in the post office over weekend. My eggs did however sit in post office over the weekend. Now they were not being shipped across the country either. I contacted the seller 3 days ago and still have not got a response. Anyway today I got the eggs and there all light brown color. I thought Americanas were green-blue? I think there might have been a mistake. What's everyone's else's take? Thank you for listening. [​IMG]

2. chicknfun

chicknfun Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2012
    Bunnell, FL
    I have what was sold to me as Ameracaunas, and some eggs are greenish, bluish, and what i call pinkish....sort of a light brown, I guess.
    If I remember correctly from what I have read here at BYC, I believe it is the rooster that passes egg color on in the offspring.

ETA: it looks like the egg in the middle of the left row is a greenish tinted, but could be just the picture. Otherwise, they look similar to my 'pinkish' eggs.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
  3. RoostersCrow HensDeliver!

RoostersCrow HensDeliver! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    SE Michigan
    They are definitely not Ameraucana, purebred Ameraucana will only lay blue eggs. Easter Egger chickens (a mixed breed chicken with Ameraucana ancestry) will lay mostly green eggs and occasionally blue and brown. Most hatcheries (and unaware flock owners) sell easter eggers as Ameraucana.

Sorry, it sounds like they took advantage of you. On the bright side, you can be surprised by what hatches.

4. jwatts

Apr 16, 2011
    Lol, i guess your right!! It should be exciting to see what happens.. I just hate when people try to slip you the Hucklebuck.lol

5. chicknfun

chicknfun Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2012
    Bunnell, FL
    I would like to add that maybe the person who is selling the eggs was told the hens were one thing and just doesn't know the difference. I know mine are EE's, but it was the young kid at the feed store that told me they were Ameracaunas. I had never had chickens, so I thought he knew what he was talking about. Now I deal with the older guy at the feed store if I have any questions[​IMG]

6. RoostersCrow HensDeliver!

Apr 11, 2011
    SE Michigan
    My mother has some very nice Easter Eggers from Townline Hatchery; they are beautiful birds. If you really want blue eggs, there are plenty of breeders here selling show quality REAL Ameraucanas. Look in the Buy-Sell-Trade section :)

7. big faulky

big faulky New Egg

Feb 11, 2013
    east texas
    I have an ee and I also purchased eggs from a breeder on the official ameracauna website. Honestly, the color of the eggs are almost identical. My ee's eggs have a slightly greener shade to them. But the real ameracauna eggs had a little green in them as well. If you'll notice the hatcheries usually play with the spelling of ameracauna. Ee's will lay blue, green, pink, and olive. The seller may just have pink egg layers and not realized breed standards are blue.
    Cole

8. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    If it were a bunch of green eggs, I'd think maybe they didn't know EE vs. Ameraucana. But ALL shades of brown? The only two possibilities that seem reasonable to me are that they sent you someone else's order or you were taken. I hope you alert EBay since it seems the seller isn't responding.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
  9. jwatts

Apr 16, 2011
    I just got my response. Turns out it was a mixed up order ( there dominecker egs) and the seller will now send me 18 eggs free of charge. i was happy with that.

10. RoostersCrow HensDeliver!

Apr 11, 2011
    SE Michigan
    Wow! I'm so happy for you. Dominiques are supposed to be a great breed too. So glad you're getting your Ameraucana eggs too :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by